URGENT: Quick Slip Edit Help

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
So, I have a blast beat where the snare and kick are supposed to line up for every hit. I'm using Adam Watthans technique when editing/quantizing drums. But for some reason when I go to snap the snare onto the grid, the kick is still a tiny bit off, but when I go to snap the KICK to the grid, that obviously moves the snare to being too early. Can you guys tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I mean. I was thinking about ungrouping the kick from the rest of the drums, but when I tired that it obviously went out of phase in the overhead mics and just sounded messy.

I had that problem too. Not exactly with blastbeats but with other parts where snare/kick are supposed to be hit at the same time. What I did was editing everything but the kick and than edit the kick on it's own. I had no phase problems because the kick was allmost completely silent on the oh's (HPF at 600hz).

I had that problem too. Not exactly with blastbeats but with other parts where snare/kick are supposed to be hit at the same time. What I did was editing everything but the kick and than edit the kick on it's own. I had no phase problems because the kick was allmost completely silent on the oh's (HPF at 600hz).

Okay. That's what I was going to end up doing, but I wasn't sure if it was the correct way of doing it! Thanks for the reply dude.

this won't help you now - but in the future just get him to not play the kick in those sections, or only play half the hits, or whatever you need to do.

[UEAK]Clowd;9409386 said:
this won't help you now - but in the future just get him to not play the kick in those sections, or only play half the hits, or whatever you need to do.

I did this recently. Worked a treat... except the drummer still didn't get his parts right... which we found out later while tracking guitars :Smug:

[UEAK]Clowd;9409386 said:

Yeah I do this all the time, as long as the drummer isn't an egomaniac who outright refuses to do it this is the way to go when tracking a shitty drummer who plays lots of double bass.