slip-editing: Can never seem to get it "right"

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
As a few of you may know, I've been feeling around for editing/mixing/mastering prices and I've gotten a bunch of offers ranging from free on up.

I decided to mess with slip editing drums again, as I've never had much luck in the past.

No matter what I do, I always end up with artifacts in the OH tracks. I have everything grouped and try to edit everything together as a whole instead of doing kicks/snares separately.

I just cannot seem to edit drums without hearing noticeable shit in the overheads. But I'm basically just practicing at this point.

Any tips? I'm trying to do whatever possible to lighten the load for either me or the person who may be mixing this down the road.

If you're slip editing with all your tracks grouped, you're not hearing "artifacts". You're hearing improperly placed edit points and crossfades. If you split a region before a kick or snare hit, but the drummer hits his ride a little BEFORE that, then when you move the snare hit back, you'll hear the ride before the split in it's original place, then when it picks up again where you've moved it. The only thing you should really need to do is just move the crossfade/ join FORWARD in time, so any flammed hits are included from the start.

What I commonly do when beat detective-atizing drums is to just listen through, and you'll hear where that happens. Most of the time I'll just look to see where the offending bit is and move the crossfade to the left so that all the transient info is behind it.

Hope that helps...

I've just come up with something: OHs pickup mostly the high frequency information from the snare and kick. These are present mostly in the click transients. So make copies of unedited kick and snare and sidechain compress OHs. Use some kind of limiter with lookahead to be sure you cut the transients before they hit the OHs. This way you can lower the bleed from kick/snare to OH and you can edit the original tracks (unedited copies sidechain the OH) with less artifacts.

I've never tried it, just came up with it. Or maybe just automate the OHs little lower at the place where original transient happened and was edited.