Cubase Slip Editing Method

I've never used slip editing before, I usually will just manually adjust drums...Mainly because I've yet to track a drummer besides the one in my band who can track to a click. :(

I'll definitely be giving this a go on our upcoming drum tracks we start doing Tuesday.

musickey: Whatever Cubase default crossfades are :heh: Also, concerning the auto-fades, it appears that they are there even though you do not see them when you have autofades enabled.

"Note that auto fades are not indicated by the fade lines!" --» cubase manual. You dont see them but when you push play they are there.

nwright: This is still manual editing though, no automated process or anything, like AudioSnap/Beat Detective/etc. I was previously using a variation on the method Lasse posted ages ago where I'm using strip silence and using a macro to slice, then manually moving every event to the grid, bla bla. This is just soooooo much easier and really doesn't take as long as any other method I have tried yet.

How do you guys deal with multiple tempo and meter changes throughout a song? considering you have to pad/Buffer the events.

How do you guys deal with multiple tempo and meter changes throughout a song? considering you have to pad/Buffer the events.

you dont have to pad or buffer the events

but that gets into a long discussion about recording techniques and other cubase specific crap

but basically you can't slip audio past what was recorded

so, do the math... if you have a bar extra before and after the take, you'll be good, unless you need to slip by an entire bar somewhere in the performance, which is something that will never happen, even if there is an arrangement change you can just cut and MOVE instead of slip

tempo changes work just fine

but that gets into a long discussion about recording techniques and other cubase specific crap

PM'ed! :D

Plankis: I dunno what the problem is, obviously others can watch it. I'm using Firefox and when I click it just plays in a new tab for me. It's a SWF file (flash), maybe you need to update flash or something?

so, do the math... if you have a bar extra before and after the take, you'll be good, unless you need to slip by an entire bar somewhere in the performance, which is something that will never happen, even if there is an arrangement change you can just cut and MOVE instead of slip

Joey is right, no issue with tempo changes at all.

but basically you can't slip audio past what was recorded

So it probable would not be good to have a drummer start his take directly after a pre count? Sorry im dense :loco:

Hey Mike, thanks for the video. I actually edit drums in cubase a little differently, maybe you'de be interested because it does seem a little faster and easier than that method. Maybe down the road a bit i'll try and make a video but I can break it down pretty easy.

First off it will be easier but not nescessary to bounce all the tracks so they are a single wav for the whole song. (each track that is :loco: )

I use the "selection" tool and select the whole song (all drum tracks, all the way to the end of song). So now all tracks should be blue.

Now when you line up with the far left side of the "selected region" you can slide the selection to each hit you want to quantize.

After you line it up on the hit you want to the grid, with the mouse you can come a little into the selection area, click - hold, and you can slide everything back to the grid line you are quantizing too.

No splitting nescessary ( it automatically splits for you ), and you slowly but surely move your way to the end of the song. I will say that I find this method a little faster and obviously more accurate than the "nashville" method.

Hope this made sense.

Bah, this is so typical. I get a broken a broken link no matter what I do. I've tried IE, FF and Chrome and as well tried on another computer, It just won't work. Got to try on another connection later. I've never had this kind of problem before...

Hey Mike, thanks for the video. I actually edit drums in cubase a little differently, maybe you'de be interested because it does seem a little faster and easier than that method. Maybe down the road a bit i'll try and make a video but I can break it down pretty easy.

First off it will be easier but not nescessary to bounce all the tracks so they are a single wav for the whole song. (each track that is :loco: )

I use the "selection" tool and select the whole song (all drum tracks, all the way to the end of song). So now all tracks should be blue.

Now when you line up with the far left side of the "selected region" you can slide the selection to each hit you want to quantize.

After you line it up on the hit you want to the grid, with the mouse you can come a little into the selection area, click - hold, and you can slide everything back to the grid line you are quantizing too.

No splitting nescessary ( it automatically splits for you ), and you slowly but surely move your way to the end of the song. I will say that I find this method a little faster and obviously more accurate than the "nashville" method.

Hope this made sense.

This is honestly not making any sense to me, at all.

I use this method, as well; the only thing this video doesn't show is what to do in certain situations like when your ride isn't matching up with the snare or when there's not enough room fuck with things... when I'm done with this next big batch of editing work I'll try to make a video and show some of the intricacies of it.

nwright: This is still manual editing though, no automated process or anything, like AudioSnap/Beat Detective/etc. I was previously using a variation on the method Lasse posted ages ago where I'm using strip silence and using a macro to slice, then manually moving every event to the grid, bla bla. This is just soooooo much easier and really doesn't take as long as any other method I have tried yet.

Right, I get that. But with the drummers I've tracked (again, outside of my band's drummer), no one has used a click, so there's no real way to do slip editing, as there are no real markers to slip to, as the tempo usually fluctuates too much.

What I end up doing is just quantizing individual hits within sections to get the to have equal spacing (like steady double kicks for 4 measures, etc.)...:zombie::cry: