Cubase Slip Editing Method

For the record, Cubase 6 has a beat detective style drum quantizer similar to the one in ProTools. Also the whole chopping up method posted above is really not useful in metal. It can work for really simple things but have fun doing metal.

it's kinda unnecessary the it's done in the video with the whole cutting and dragging it forward again, the basics of slip editing is; if you want to move something within an event you gotta have audio at both sides to fill the rest of the event (if you're dragging a hit to the left, there's gotta be audio on the right (outside of the event) because cubase can't fill an event with silence (which would sound retarded btw)), so just drag the ends in a bit a both sides and you're golden. don't worry about killing the last cymbal decay of a song or something, when you're done you can just drag it back out again. and when we're talking about quantizing a good drummer it's often just a matter of milliseconds, not bars. if you have consolidated drum tracks without any margins to play with, just paint in some silent audio events on both sides using the pen tool, bounce everything and drag the ends back in.

so if [ ] is the event it will look something like this

original - audio [audio] audio
slip edited - au[dio au]dio audio

they fixed the grid in Cubase 6 btw! now you can set it to whatever you're quantizing to, like 64th triplets for the really groovy grindy stuff \m/-
but then again, they fixed an auto quantize thingie too..

here's how I quantize triplets in Cubase 5:
I have the "Snap On/Off" macroed to the "<" key (right above and in between ctrl and alt), then I just scan over the grid to see where the triplets are with the snap on. if a hit is late, i check where the triplet is, turn the snap off, cut a little bit before where it is, then I turn snap on again and start dragging the audio back until the kick/snare/whatever hit lines up with the line thingie that follows the tools around. if early, cut a little before the hit, turn snap on and do the same thing. I don't see the line thingie while holding alt (while slipping) though, only everytime I release it. this takes time, but in v5 I can't see a simpler solution.

hope it helps someone!

I explained in the video I don't know exactly why it does that behavior sometimes, but thank you for explaining in detail. I move it a couple measures ahead because that is the workaround I have found that works for me. Plus it takes all of a whopping 2 seconds to do, not a big deal. Yes, Cubase 6 has triplet grid now, which is awesome. But, the problem is that there are currently no transparent events in that version which makes slip editing absolutely nothing but a pain in the ass and not as accurate as with transparent events. I purchased the C6 upgrade but I am using C5 in the meantime until they make an update that brings transparent events back.

I explained in the video I don't know exactly why it does that behavior sometimes, but thank you for explaining in detail. I move it a couple measures ahead because that is the workaround I have found that works for me. Plus it takes all of a whopping 2 seconds to do, not a big deal. Yes, Cubase 6 has triplet grid now, which is awesome. But, the problem is that there are currently no transparent events in that version which makes slip editing absolutely nothing but a pain in the ass and not as accurate as with transparent events. I purchased the C6 upgrade but I am using C5 in the meantime until they make an update that brings transparent events back.

yeah, just trying to explain it more detailed, because when I first watched your video (which basiclly taught me this (thanks btw!)) some time ago I was like "DARN! WHAT IS THIS MAGIC HE IS PERFORMING?", but then I got the hang of it :)

WHATWHATWHAT?! no transparent events? that makes impossible for ultra tight sturgis rythm guitars. those steinberg hounds, lemme know when they fix it!

yeah, just trying to explain it more detailed, because when I first watched your video (which basiclly taught me this (thanks btw!)) some time ago I was like "DARN! WHAT IS THIS MAGIC HE IS PERFORMING?", but then I got the hang of it :)

WHATWHATWHAT?! no transparent events? that makes impossible for ultra tight sturgis rythm guitars. those steinberg hounds, lemme know when they fix it!

Sorry, forgot about this. In case you haven't heard yet, the 6.0.3 update now allows transparent events.

How do you edit gurus prolong with MIDI trigger tracks along with audio?

Can you explain a little more? Prolong means to take a longer time, basically. Do you mean how to edit MIDI tracks that go with the audio tracks you are editing?

Sorry.. I meant proceed, how do you do it? I guess you have to do double editing if you use the MIDI files too, is it better to bounce them down as audio tracks and edit together with the rest?

I'm doing MIDI triggin and it blends very good with the audio signal un-edited but never tried to edit... As much pain in the ass editing is you don't wanna have to both edit audio and MIDI signal I guess, and also it might result in artifacts between MIDI and audio signal if you use quantize for MIDI and slip edit for audio?

There is also a cool feature in Cubase which QUANTIZES audio waves automatically. Just simply double click the audio file in Cubase 5 or later version. There you can find anything from pitch correction to recognizing rhythms and quantizing them.

Osse said:
Sorry.. I meant proceed, how do you do it? I guess you have to do double editing if you use the MIDI files too, is it better to bounce them down as audio tracks and edit together with the rest?

I'm doing MIDI triggin and it blends very good with the audio signal un-edited but never tried to edit... As much pain in the ass editing is you don't wanna have to both edit audio and MIDI signal I guess, and also it might result in artifacts between MIDI and audio signal if you use quantize for MIDI and slip edit for audio?

You can slip edit midi and audio at the same time in c5

There is also a cool feature in Cubase which QUANTIZES audio waves automatically. Just simply double click the audio file in Cubase 5 or later version. There you can find anything from pitch correction to recognizing rhythms and quantizing them.

:Smug: Sorry, I would not recommend doing that.

koalamo said:
You can slip edit midi and audio at the same time in c5

@Osse: ^ This.

What I do :
Folder the drums.(important)
Click on Snare wav file. Then Shift+ Right Click. Choose "Create Hitpoints and make them event" thing.
There, upside a new "event" track. (blued vertical lines appear)
Than Grid to Events option above.
Cut "all the blued lines which are relative with Snare on "Folder Line"

Then switch to grid bars,beats. (use Quantize 16 or 32)
Switch to "time stretch" with pressing three times "1" (clock appears on mouse)
Finally stretch them on beats.

(Dont forget to bounce when finished or Cubase running slow. LoL)
Finished.

Thats the way I've found.

-Ünsal-

Isn't it just transparent if you actually move things?!
Imo, I've read something like that(I'm not on C6(because of this transparent thing))...

Well, that's how they had it in the first update they released. However, everyone bitched at them because that was not the functionality we were requesting. They then released another update, 6.0.3, which brought back true transparent events. Like so:

transevents.png

That is Cubase 6.0.3, as you can see, transparent events :) When you are slip editing the event, it turns completely transparent, as opposed to the light gray color you see there (that's just how I have my GUI set up).

Hi guys!

I have just one question please.

If i make MIDI from my audio kick drum track, and than quantize that MIDI in

all the necessary parts, and than add some sampled kick on that track, and

remove lower frequencies from overhead mics,bottom snare mic and room

mic, will i have any major phase correlation problems?

Cheers!

P.S. Great video Mr. 006!