What is Slip Editing...(I READ THE TUTS!)

amd123

Aug 18, 2009
I have cubase 5. Can someone give me a quick rundown of what slip editing is, why/how is it useful, what are some common applications of it?

No, I got cubase 5 with a product I bought, I didn't get a manual (the product was a used version)

I'm like 98% sure Cubase 5 has never been bundled with hardware, and there's definitely a pdf manual in the software.

Well I found the manual, but I'm still lost on how to slip edit.

I'm reading pages 78-90 on editing audio.

Still kinda lost on how to do it with a guitar DI track.

If you understand the concept behind slip editing, I don't know how you don't get how to do it on a DI track? It's the same as with any other track - you slide the waveform around freely within the region, that's it.

Based on your other posts, you need to familiarize yourself with your instrument before you start messing with the DAW, and then get the basics of the DAW down before you start editing the crap out of your performances.

Remember - crap in -> crap out, editing just makes it shinier crap.

If you understand the concept behind slip editing, I don't know how you don't get how to do it on a DI track? It's the same as with any other track - you slide the waveform around freely within the region, that's it.

Based on your other posts, you need to familiarize yourself with your instrument before you start messing with the DAW, and then get the basics of the DAW down before you start editing the crap out of your performances.

Remember - crap in -> crap out, editing just makes it shinier crap.

No, I practiced playing the riff I'm recording pretty good today ( i wrote the damn song yesterday, its not really a song, just a bunch of random ideas strewn together to see how amp sims can do different sounds: cleans/distorted/"br00talz"...).

There is a part of a chord arpeggiation that I can't get perfectly (requires some finger acrobatics). As of now, but I've been doing is recording riff by riff. This helps but I wanna try the Slip. So I double clicked the audio region and i clicked manual editing...now I'm totally lost.

Damn all the tuts for slip editing are for reaper >_<

there is most definitely a cubase slip editing tutorial and it was like, atLEAST 5 pages long.

you just to need to grasp the concept.

there's really nothing to it anyway, ya just alt drag the audio and it moves inside the region. it's no different then cut/crossfading and moving stuff around a bunch of times, you just save a few steps by "slipping" it around without needing to do batch crossfades or tinker with region boundaries

No, I practiced playing the riff I'm recording pretty good today ( i wrote the damn song yesterday, its not really a song, just a bunch of random ideas strewn together to see how amp sims can do different sounds: cleans/distorted/"br00talz"...).

There is a part of a chord arpeggiation that I can't get perfectly (requires some finger acrobatics). As of now, but I've been doing is recording riff by riff. This helps but I wanna try the Slip. So I double clicked the audio region and i clicked manual editing...now I'm totally lost.

You don't double click anything. You make a cut, hold the key command to enable 'slipping', and drag the mouse.

Ok, seriously amd123, stop being a bitch. They're trying to help you, but you can't blame them for being a little frustrated and apathetic to your plight when shit like this has been covered OVER AND OVER, TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

Somebody get Gareth in here to handle this.

Why are you guys sooo fucking uptight?

I TRIED THAT, and the LINK IS DEAD...

WHAT the fuck do you guys take me for. I even posted in the title I've read the tuts and I'm still confused.

I mean really guys, get off your pedestals and the one time a noob asks something and HAS ACTUALLY TRIED HELPING HIMSELF you guys berate me

:mad::cry:

i am the most noob symapthetic person on this entire forum, first of all, second of all, the link is most certainly not dead, third of all, my preceding post is the bottom line here. you SIMPLY need to grasp the concept. once you understand how slip editing works, you'll be like..... oh... that's it? i was expecting it to be way cooler. and then you'll be bored of it. seriously if it takes downloading reaper and learning it there first, just do it. it's THE EXACT same procedure in both DAWs.