What is Slip Editing...(I READ THE TUTS!)

He means the link to the video tut in the thread is dead. I tried looking for it a while ago with no joy.
The reaper vid is still up and tells you all you need to know on the subject.

Why are you guys sooo fucking uptight?

I TRIED THAT, and the LINK IS DEAD...

WHAT the fuck do you guys take me for. I even posted in the title I've read the tuts and I'm still confused.

I mean really guys, get off your pedestals and the one time a noob asks something and HAS ACTUALLY TRIED HELPING HIMSELF you guys berate me

:mad::cry:

Everything is magnified in intensity on the internet. You like spite? Got a taste for vitriol? Indifference do anything for ya? It's all right here on the internet for your viewing pleasure at the time of your choosing. like that little stuffed teddy bear you keep beside you at night, only the teddy bear isn't really a teddy bear, it's a fuckin' SCREAMER EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My signature has the correct link for the video I made doing it in Cubase
vvvvvvvvvvv

Since no one else will fucking type the two sentences the dude asked for...

Hold Ctrl+Alt on your keyboard, then click inside a region and drag around. The audio will "slip" in the region without the region boundaries changing.

Actually, you most likely will only be able to slide back. You have to move the region forward and then slide the audio/waveform back to the desired starting point for back and forth slip editing in Cubase...Unless you make 2 cuts in the waveform both in front of as well as behind the audio you want to slip. But doing this only affects that specific area, but I digress....

If the Cubase tutorial vid is not up anymore, it truly explains everything about slip editing in Cubase and it really is all you need to see to learn it. Reading people's responses may not get the same result as watching the vid, so I can kinda see the OP's plight.

hey guys, has anyone got some advice for doing this slip editing in Sonar?? ive just spent ages editing a track and have several more to go so any advice on how to be more effecient on Sonar would be great. cheers

hey guys, has anyone got some advice for doing this slip editing in Sonar?? ive just spent ages editing a track and have several more to go so any advice on how to be more effecient on Sonar would be great. cheers

i think we determined sonar doesn't have the slip function. get reaper and consolidate/bounce to it to do your edits??

Actually, you most likely will only be able to slide back. You have to move the region forward and then slide the audio/waveform back to the desired starting point for back and forth slip editing in Cubase...Unless you make 2 cuts in the waveform both in front of as well as behind the audio you want to slip. But doing this only affects that specific area, but I digress....

Same with Reaper, but you should be lining up the first hit of the track by moving the whole region. Once the first hit is lined up, anything you split after that will allow you to slide both ways.

Same with Reaper, but you should be lining up the first hit of the track by moving the whole region. Once the first hit is lined up, anything you split after that will allow you to slide both ways.

Maybe I'm not using "region" correctly. In Cubase, you have to move the "region" or block of audio forward a bit and then slide the waveform inside that block of audio back to your desired starting point. Doing this allows you move both forward and back. Otherwise, you can only slide audio back. Or, you can leave the region or block of audio in the original place and slice be fore and after an event you want slipped and slip both ways, but you have to have the cut after to make it work. So, IMO, moving the region forward a bit and then sliding the waveform back in time is the way to go. the Cubase tutorial shows what I'm talking about.

Maybe I'm not using "region" correctly. In Cubase, you have to move the "region" or block of audio forward a bit and then slide the waveform inside that block of audio back to your desired starting point. Doing this allows you move both forward and back. Otherwise, you can only slide audio back. Or, you can leave the region or block of audio in the original place and slice be fore and after an event you want slipped and slip both ways, but you have to have the cut after to make it work. So, IMO, moving the region forward a bit and then sliding the waveform back in time is the way to go. the Cubase tutorial shows what I'm talking about.

Ahhh gotcha, yeah that is a bit different then, understood!

Yeah it's gayness, even though it's a mere 2 seconds extra or something you should just be able to slip it forward anytime no matter what. For the record, this is only true if you have already consolidated your regions. If you still have the raw, unedited and unconsolidated regions (recorded using pre-record!! this is important) you should be able to slip the audio forward and backward no problem. It's just when you consolidate or have the consolidated tracks (like if you receive tracks from your client/another studio to mix - assuming they haven't edited yet) it behaves in that gay fashion.

Well Reaper is the same way, you can't slip forward unless there is actually material before the start of the region to slip, so I understand why it's like that in Cubase as well.

So I guess I understood it right the first time when I was disagreeing about it being that bad.

For your first hit, just MOVE the actual region to line it up instead of slipping. When you cut for the next hit, you should be able to slide it both forward AND backwards now, because the source file for the region still contains material before the cut that you can slip.

You should be doing that anyways, just line the first hit up, THEN start slipping to fix subsequent hits. That should solve that problem.

Maybe it doesn't though, I don't have Cubase and maybe Cubase actually is retarded in that area in a way I don't understand :lol:

It makes sense, the start/end of the regions are the start/end of the waveform - you can't slide it forward into a wall, and cubase won't create silence for you behind the slipped waveform. Oh welllll just gotta make those two snippies at the beginning, or drag backward and then slide forward.

It makes sense, the start/end of the regions are the start/end of the waveform

FWIW, not always...if you record with a precount, cubase will record whatever's played during the precount measures, although it won't start the region until the cursor point

Well Reaper is the same way, you can't slip forward unless there is actually material before the start of the region to slip, so I understand why it's like that in Cubase as well.

So I guess I understood it right the first time when I was disagreeing about it being that bad.

For your first hit, just MOVE the actual region to line it up instead of slipping. When you cut for the next hit, you should be able to slide it both forward AND backwards now, because the source file for the region still contains material before the cut that you can slip.

You should be doing that anyways, just line the first hit up, THEN start slipping to fix subsequent hits. That should solve that problem.

Maybe it doesn't though, I don't have Cubase and maybe Cubase actually is retarded in that area in a way I don't understand :lol:

I didn't mean to say it was hard or bad or took more time to do it, just making it clear that it isn't completely cut and dry that you can ctrl-alt and start sliding right off the bat...you have to move the region forward a bit, that's all. Still simple.