Cubase Slip Editing Method

Also just wanted to throw some thank you's out there. I have drums for my EP that I needed editing and I was thinking my only option was to go into my college's music lab every day and try to figure out beat detective in the few hours a day the lab is open ( not to mention I've rarely used macs so I probably would have wasted even more time trying to get used to working on their comps)

so thanks for saving me time and grief!

I tested it out on a few measures and I love the total controll I have!

Need your opinion on this; What would you do if you have a kick and snare hit that are supposed to be on the same beat but the drummer slightly flams them? Just quantize the "kick" hit? Or do separate slip movements for the kick and do the snare+overheads separate?

Personally, depending on the music of course, I'd leave the flam relationship alone. It'll add character.

I'm starting to get into Slip Editing atm and I understand the method, thanks 006 for the vid.
So, I've "grided" an older session, to try it and it worked out pretty well and tight.

My problem now is in the Overheads:
They sound shimmy, because of the cuts and fades.
Is there any way to avoid this, or is it just a practise thing?

I have to ask how do you guize deal with the annoying echo effect you sometimes get when the snare is a bit ringy and there's a lot of "close" kick drum hits.
(Yes, there are situations where you want a bit of ring)
I mean, it's ok when hidden behind samples but It's definitely bad when you wanna keep things natural.
I also ran into this problem with a room with a medium/long RT60.

I have to ask how do you guize deal with the annoying echo effect you sometimes get when the snare is a bit ringy and there's a lot of "close" kick drum hits.
(Yes, there are situations where you want a bit of ring)
I mean, it's ok when hidden behind samples but It's definitely bad when you wanna keep things natural.
I also ran into this problem with a room with a medium/long RT60.

you surely already know abot it, but moongel on the snare always do the trick for me

My problem now is in the Overheads:
They sound shimmy, because of the cuts and fades.
Is there any way to avoid this, or is it just a practise thing?

I've only recently began slip editing (mainly because of 006's vid), and I don't have any issues with the OH's sounding odd because of the cuts and fades.

I think it will mainly depend on where you place the cuts. I usually set the quantization to 64ths and then apply the cut right before the transient is supposed to hit, or in some case I'll make my cut ON the beat and butt the slipped audio right up to it, and it sounds perfect.

I did have 1 or 2 instances in the 9 songs I've slip edited where the ride cymbal would "flam". Due to the way and tempo it was played, to get everything solid and in time, I couldn't avoid it by cutting different ways. In the OH's it was barely audible, so I just grabbed the ride cymbal hit right before it and copy/pasted to the flam'd hit. Worked perfect and it was unnoticeable in the mix.

I've only recently began slip editing (mainly because of 006's vid), and I don't have any issues with the OH's sounding odd because of the cuts and fades.

I think it will mainly depend on where you place the cuts. I usually set the quantization to 64ths and then apply the cut right before the transient is supposed to hit, or in some case I'll make my cut ON the beat and butt the slipped audio right up to it, and it sounds perfect.

I did have 1 or 2 instances in the 9 songs I've slip edited where the ride cymbal would "flam". Due to the way and tempo it was played, to get everything solid and in time, I couldn't avoid it by cutting different ways. In the OH's it was barely audible, so I just grabbed the ride cymbal hit right before it and copy/pasted to the flam'd hit. Worked perfect and it was unnoticeable in the mix.

Thanks for the reply!

"I think it will mainly depend on where you place the cuts."
This is certainly the point, I think.
I've made kind of a rough test, so I've placed the cuts not SUPER tight @ the transients beginning.
When I#m at the studio tomorrow, I'll try that again and if it's still audible i will post a clip.

Maybe it helps other dudes too.

Thanks

I dunno man, I'm using all natural snare top and bottom mic only on a current project and slip edited to fucking hell and back and it sounds fine to me.

I think it's a situation where you need to tailor your snare verb, or add another reverb before it, to give the snare more ring - if you had issues with it during editing.

Slip-editing is deathly important to make a tight mix as far as i've experienced ;)

Question is, is there any chance or process to make "auto-quantizing" or "auto-orienting" the audio files?

^^That, and to give you more control - beat detective can't exactly quantize based off cymbal hits, and I value cymbal kits WAY more than I value kick hits as far as drum editing is concerned.

Ok so here's me demonstrating that bit about the ride cymbal/snare being too far apart when they're supposed to be hitting at the same time. No audio, unfortunately... quicktime screen capture = fail?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/392637/Misc/JeffTDDrumEdit.mov

Anyways, what you basically do is just preserve the transient and cut the bleed between the trans and the snare hit.

I'm largely ignoring kicks in this video since they'll be quant'd afterwords and are inaudible in the OH.
Is that vid still around somewhere else?

Ah yeah, I don't have that one anymore. The process is really simple, you just move the drum hit to right before hte grid, clip riight after the transient, and then move the cymbal into place just after the grid, so they flam *slightly* around the grid, with minimal bleed inbetween.

what would be nice is if you could mix slip editing with elastic audio's capability to snap to the grid as opposed to lining it up with sight like you have to in cubase.

Ah yeah, I don't have that one anymore. The process is really simple, you just move the drum hit to right before hte grid, clip riight after the transient, and then move the cymbal into place just after the grid, so they flam *slightly* around the grid, with minimal bleed inbetween.
Yeah I know how to do it. Just thought there might be something useful in your video. Thanks anyway.

what would be nice is if you could mix slip editing with elastic audio's capability to snap to the grid as opposed to lining it up with sight like you have to in cubase.

you can snap to grid in cubase too.
its up the top of the main workspace.

itlooks like this

>|<

im not sure if it works with slip editing but i cant see why not??