Cubase 5 vs Reaper 3 Questions

digitaldeath

Dec 7, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
Hey guys, first off - I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything like that, I'm simply looking for facts from users of both DAWs. Yes, I know there's a demo of Cubase available, but it requires an iLok-like USB key, which I do not wish to purchase for demo purposes unless this thread helps me change my mind.

I'm primarily interested in the audio editing aspect of Cubase and how it compares to Reaper.

1. I'm fully aware of Reaper's short comings with regards to audio editing (vote for the feature requests in my sig!) compared to something like Pro-Tools, but how does Cubase's audio editing features compare to Reaper's?
1a. How does Cubase handle this particular situation?

2. Cubase can slip audio, correct? ie. move the audio within the event/item/region - whatever.

3. Can you freeze tracks in Cubase?

4. Is there track (not event) based grouping for editing purposes?

5. Is there a Reaper equivalent of folder tracks?

6. How's the routing in Cubase compared to Reaper?

7. Customization options? ie. keyboard shortcuts, macros, themes?

8. How much of a hog is Cubase on your system?

9. Are Steinberg really a bunch of twats that never listen to their users?

More questions to come as I think of them!

1. Cubase's editing features are perfectly fine. Sturgis is a Cubase fan and is a monster editor, if it works for him... ;)
1a. Have to be sitting in front of Cubase to answer

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. No.

5. Yes.

6. From many discussions with Ryan (catharsis) of him randomly talking about Reaper's "glorious" routing, I personally feel as though Reaper has no advantage. Every example he gave me I had absolutely no need for, or could do by simply making a couple of mouse clicks. Last time I talked to Ryan he just got Cubase... :lol:

7. Yes. I have a few macros, use a lot of their default keyboard shortcuts and you can change some of the visuals.

8. I personally find Cubase is a very efficient DAW in my years of experience with it on both PC and Mac systems, compared to many other DAWs.

9. I have had Steinberg support help me only a couple of times and each time it was pretty quick. If not the Cubase.net forum is usually good at figuring out your problem. I haven't honestly had many problems at all and, as I said, have only had to contact Steinberg on a couple of occasions.

1. Cubase's editing features are perfectly fine. Sturgis is a Cubase fan and is a monster editor, if it works for him... ;)
1a. Have to be sitting in front of Cubase to answer

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. No.

5. Yes.

6. From many discussions with Ryan (catharsis) of him randomly talking about Reaper's "glorious" routing, I personally feel as though Reaper has no advantage. Every example he gave me I had absolutely no need for, or could do by simply making a couple of mouse clicks. Last time I talked to Ryan he just got Cubase... :lol:

7. Yes. I have a few macros, use a lot of their default keyboard shortcuts and you can change some of the visuals.

8. I personally find Cubase is a very efficient DAW in my years of experience with it on both PC and Mac systems, compared to many other DAWs.

9. I have had Steinberg support help me only a couple of times and each time it was pretty quick. If not the Cubase.net forum is usually good at figuring out your problem. I haven't honestly had many problems at all and, as I said, have only had to contact Steinberg on a couple of occasions.

Cheers for the run down! If anyone's got anything else to add, I'd love to hear it!
Please do keep me informed about the answer to Q1a. Thanks!

in the mixer window select tracks, right click and click link channels or press CTRL+G. Do you mean that? You can also just put everything into a folder and edit the folder if you want track grouping

Yes, that will group volume, panning etc. adjustments - but once I've placed everything into a folder and make a cut on one of the enclosed tracks, will the edit apply to all other tracks within that folder (edit based grouping)?

In Cubase what I do to group edit is to make a folder track for the drums. Then there will be an event for the folder track, so then I select the kick+snare+folder events so they are all three highlighted, then I move along and make my cuts on the kick and snare tracks. Every time I cut on the kick or snare event, the folder track also cuts there, and because of that, the toms, hh, ride, etc. tracks in the folder also get cut there. Then to move the events around, I just grab the folder event, which is now sliced up, which again moves everything in the folder which that event represents.

Lasse does this basically in his Cubase drum editing video he posted up a while back. Only he duplicates the kick/snare/whatever he uses for guide and uses strip silence on them to delete everything but the peaking waveforms. He then uses his macro to find the beginning of each event on his guide track(s) and it slices everything in the folder at those points. I couldn't get it to work as well as he did for anything but a slower grind band that had hardly any doubles, but normally I am 100% manual anyway so...

In Cubase what I do to group edit is to make a folder track for the drums. Then there will be an event for the folder track, so then I select the kick+snare+folder events so they are all three highlighted, then I move along and make my cuts on the kick and snare tracks. Every time I cut on the kick or snare event, the folder track also cuts there, and because of that, the toms, hh, ride, etc. tracks in the folder also get cut there. Then to move the events around, I just grab the folder event, which is now sliced up, which again moves everything in the folder which that event represents.

Lasse does this basically in his Cubase drum editing video he posted up a while back. Only he duplicates the kick/snare/whatever he uses for guide and uses strip silence on them to delete everything but the peaking waveforms. He then uses his macro to find the beginning of each event on his guide track(s) and it slices everything in the folder at those points. I couldn't get it to work as well as he did for anything but a slower grind band that had hardly any doubles, but normally I am 100% manual anyway so...

+ 1000
Work perfectly

Cheers for the explanation, makes sense really!
How are the stock plugins?
I guess I'm looking for examples which put Cubase ahead of Reaper and justify the huge price difference!

i just got done editing in cubase 5 and neundo 3 thanks to joey. and yeah reaper has slip editing and cubase has slip editing but, joey and i were talking and he was like yeah this cd i couldn't do phyically in reaper. because cubase just does so much god damn shit

Now. both are great daws and slip editing fucking shits all over beat detective so whatever :D

but in the end cubase > reaper

and if you guys know me. i fucking love reaper

As far as stock plugins, I'm not sure which version you are planning to buy but... Cubase 5 would be the best bet. It includes a slew of stock plugs that will have you going no problem. I've been on Studio 4 for over a year now and I cannot wait to upgrade to full 5. Waiting on a hookup through GC though :)

i just got done editing in cubase 5 and neundo 3 thanks to joey. and yeah reaper has slip editing and cubase has slip editing

Hey Ryan, sorry for the noob shit but what are the key commands for slip editing in Cubase? Im not in front of my DAW at the moment. appreciate it.

i just got done editing in cubase 5 and neundo 3 thanks to joey. and yeah reaper has slip editing and cubase has slip editing but, joey and i were talking and he was like yeah this cd i couldn't do phyically in reaper. because cubase just does so much god damn shit

Now. both are great daws and slip editing fucking shits all over beat detective so whatever :D

but in the end cubase > reaper

and if you guys know me. i fucking love reaper

Please list what you can do in Cubase that you can't do in Reaper that Joey needed to create those albums so I can tell you how you're wrong :Smug: