Considering trying a new DAW

If you take the time to learn all the Reaper macro commands and extensions (including 3rd party extensions), you realize that Reaper is freakin' awesome. I bet most of the features in Cubase are doable in Reaper; you just have to find the command(s), create your own personal macro, then put it where you want it. Put a button in the main button bank, or put it in your right-click menu, or assign a keyboard shortcut, or whatever.

For example: I like Cubase's audio editor, and Reaper doesn't have one; in Reaper, you would typically just do your audio editing right in the main project window. But I started looking at all the Reaper commands available, and I created my own audio editor that's better for me than the one in Cubase. With a little reading and a little creative thought, you can create your own personal tools that are unlike anything anyone else in the world uses.

Personally, I don't like keyboard shortcuts so much. I mostly prefer to use the mouse for everything, so all the commands I use a lot, I have assigned to mouse gestures (which duplicate keyboard shortcuts) or mouse buttons.

Now, this next thing I'm going to say is going to make me look like a dope: I actually use Cubase, not Reaper. For one reason: Reaper still hasn't implemented the ability to edit drum maps within the MIDI/drum editor. Within Cubase's drum editor, I can grab drum pieces and drag them wherever I want them, then save that drum map right there within Cubase. I have all my hi-hats together, all my snares, etc. This just makes a HUGE difference to me when programming drums, and it's the only thing keeping me in the Cubase camp.

For a while, I was recording in Reaper and programming drums in Cubase, but I really don't like to switch back and forth, so Reaper hit the shelf. So like Joey Sturgis, one more feature and I will move to Reaper.

Stick with reaper, try auto-tune. The workflow with melodyne can be set up to be a breese, just use it as an external wav editor, but melodyne is whacked anyhow, that's why i'd recommend auto-tune.

Didn't read any of this thread, but I personally am gonna try out Cubase 6. It seems really intriguing. So I'd say you should definitely look into it too if you haven't. I currently use Logic and I'm sure that's even less used than Reaper. lol

I hear its slow and a cpu hog and plus its 600 dollars and thats before the ilok

A DAW is only as slow as the operator. I've been using protools for longer then I can remember, and I've been using cubase for about a year. I find cubase "slow", and by that I mean I'm slow within the program.

I'd say stick with Reaper. It's a solid program and unless you're doing alot of movement between studios with other software, I'd say it's just easier/better to stay with what you know.

Having said all that, I prefer PT over all of them, and cubase is a close second. Cubase is a solid program with some awesome features, I'm just too used to PT to switch.

Well, I have to be a bit more objective towards Samplitude 10.
Yesterday, I programmed some MIDI stuff and mixed it with audio, and the DAW behaved perfectly. Samplitude (or better, Sequoia if you have the money to buy it) is just the less known audio Rolls Royce.
Just know magix kind of invented the modern audio edition (non-destructive edit, object manipulations, etc.), and, really, a 5 years old child could use it. The features are incredibly powerful, the audio engine may be one of the best existing, and, last but not least, it works with minimum CPU and memory ressources. And it does not bug.
The first album I mixed, in 2003, was made on Samplitude 7 with an old Pentium MMX and 256 RAM. 20 tracks full of effects. Believe it or not.

After doing some research, it seems no really well known pro users like to use reaper as their DAW. Sure you can throw together a Pro mix with it, but its unheard of to do humongous projects with it as far as I can tell.
High quality projects are done by experienced producers.
Experience takes time, and perseverance with the tools at one's disposal.
Cubase is 21 years old.
Pro Tools is roughly 20 years old.
Reaper is 4.5 years old.
Thus it's not surprising that experienced producers rarely use Reaper - to be experienced, they probably started learning their craft long before Reaper came out, and since they now know how to get the results they want, they'll have little reason to switch. It says nothing about the quality of the DAWs as such, just about the users.

In 16 years time someone will probably be posting here wondering whether he can get away with using 'iMix 2025 Edition' or whatever when the Joey Sturgises of the '20s are all using Reaper.

(Me? I use Sonar. But I get annoyed at the things that Sonar lacks which Reaper has, eg. ability to route 1 MIDI track to 2 VSTis.)