Choosing a DAW

Massili

Jun 3, 2005
Hi Guys,

After a long time using pc i have decided go to the mac route for my next recording computer!

I'm a long time cubase user and i really like it but i'm a bit unsure which DAW to choose to work on a mac, plus i'd like a change.

I'm not a pro, not even close, and i mainly do demos for my bands only. I record drums in another studio and complete the work at home, recording guitars, bass, vocals, mixing and mastering.

I use alot of plugins and here is my concerns...

first, i had thought on upgrading to cubase 6 but after reading reviews and opinions about daws, i'm facing a dilemma on these 3 DAWS to choose...cubase 6, Logic Pro 9 and Reaper.

which one of these has the best plugins, delivering the best sound, mainly reverb and compressors?
I'm used to cubase, how different are reaper and logic about the Workflow and quality of the stock plugins and resources? Are them easy to get used after so many years using cubase?

Buying a Mac + a software DAW will let my wallet empty! So, for now, I can't afford third party plugins and this is the most concerning part of my choose, how good are the stock plugins on these daws!

However, i'm not sure if i'll afford cubase, which happens to be the most expensive of the 3.

Could you guys give me some thoughts?

Reaper definitely has a lot of things going for it. But I still stick to Cubase for anything serious. Every daw is vastly different.

The stock plugins cover everything you need in Cubase. The new REVerence is pretty nice. It is essentially an impulse/convolution loader. I find I actually use them more and more.

Why switch to a mac? If your pc is stable why switch? Consider also the amount of free plugins for pc that are not on the mac. Amp sims, reverbs, compressors, eq, etc. where many sound better than commercial stuff. Plus you save on the apple tax.

The free plugs sell it for me alone. There are a few that would be hard to live without.

Cubase all the way. It's simple... they've copied all the best features from other DAWs and now it's simply the ultimate DAW. Pro Tools is only now starting to copy Cubase features. :D Also you can customize Cubase to fit your needs. You have the biggest variety of plugins also. Stock plugins are pretty good also but who the hell uses stock plugins? :)

That being said... pro guys use Pro Tools. Probably because they use toy computers like Macintosh. (that was a joke)

Who cares what DAW you use? It's just a house to put all your plugins/fx in. Some are nicer than others sure, but many argue about WHICH ONE is better. Demo a handful of them and within 10 minutes of playing in each of them you'll know which one you want. I personally use Studio One cuz I like it better than PT and Reaper, but I'm not recommending it cuz i don't think it really matters.

Who cares what DAW you use? It's just a house to put all your plugins/fx in. Some are nicer than others sure, but many argue about WHICH ONE is better. Demo a handful of them and within 10 minutes of playing in each of them you'll know which one you want. I personally use Studio One cuz I like it better than PT and Reaper, but I'm not recommending it cuz i don't think it really matters.

I couldn't disagree more. It is about workflow. I think for straight recording and basic editing, they are all about the same. But when you really dive in, that is where things get a lot more interesting.

Slip editing, arranger tracks, midi editing, vocal tuning, mixing/mastering workflow, tab to transient, drum midi editing, score editing, transposing, time stretching, tempo changes (with audio stretching), control room/headphone mixes, vocal tuning, automation, stems, smart tool, key commands and customization, etc.

Very very different between the DAWs and can literally save you hours of work. Especially when composing, arranging, and editing.

never used Logic, Reaper wasn't my cup of tea and Cubase just feels unprofessional in a way (putting aside awesome REVerence).

out of the three, Reaper is much cheaper (and also rhythms) tough im not sure about its stock plug-ins, wheres with cubase the plug-ins are pretty good but... it just feels like the end result could never be perfect IMHO

Thank you guys for all the replies

i'm leaning more towards cubase because i already use it and i like it alot

i'm switching to mac because i have no patience anymore in finding compatible and good pc parts!
I want a notebook for mobility and something that's ready to go, plug and play, no tweaks, realiable and powerful all right out of the box.

May i use a usb extension hub in one port for the cubase usb e-license and a midi keyboard controller?

I ask this because a macbook pro 13" has just 2 usb ports and i have a external usb 7200 drive, a usb interface, the controller and if i get cubase, the dongle. 4 usb connections needed, would be 5 with keyboard/mouse but i'll get bluetooth for this.

I do intend getting a firewire interface in the future, but for now i can't afford it, i would need 3 usb ports or then no cubase.