New REAPER tutorial videos

AudioGeekZine

arsehole know-it-all
Jan 1, 2008
Vancouver
www.audiogeekzine.com
I posted two new tutorials in the past week on The REAPER Blog.

Editing Podcast in REAPER
In this video I explain my podcast & dialog editing workflow in REAPER. The powerful custom actions used in this video can be applied to any kind of audio editing and dramatically speed up the production process.

http://reaperblog.net/2014/07/video-editing-podcasts-in-reaper/

Easy Song Rearranging
In this tutorial you will learn how to insert and delete time, how to move a whole song over to make room for an intro, how to use regions and more.

http://reaperblog.net/2014/07/video-easy-song-rearranging/

If you haven't been to the site before, there are a ton more tutorial videos
http://reaperblog.net/category/video/

Questions, comments and feedback are welcome.

Thanks for the tutorial! ;)

I have one question seeing that you are so resourceful with reaper stuff
do you know how to change the tempo of a section without fucking up everything that comes after it?

That can be tricky.

Look at your project settings. Tempo/Time Signature markers default to Beats, try changing this to Time temporarily while you add the extra tempo change. Items and envelopes should also be set to time if you don't want things shifting around with tempo adjustments.

My video on working with loops might help explain the the timebase options. http://youtu.be/7d45_km_AIM

Working from beginning to end works best but if you have to make a change in the middle sometimes you have to adjust everything after. I'll have to do some testing with this to find the best method.

Thanks for the tutorial! ;)

I have one question seeing that you are so resourceful with reaper stuff
do you know how to change the tempo of a section without fucking up everything that comes after it?

I would suggest to start putting tempo changes from place where they return to original tempo.

One thing that still makes me rage over Reaper is inserting Time Signature Markers. If I have a song that has a bar that is 4/4 then the next bar is 6/4, over the course of a few measures the song changes up and quite often I want to place a Time Sig change on an upbeat and Reaper doesn't want to let me just drop the damn marker where I want it, it wan'ts to plop it right on the downbeat. Makes me very, very mad. Aside from disabling snap and just sliding the damn thing over (which just irks me at the thought), I have a hard time working around this.

One thing that still makes me rage over Reaper is inserting Time Signature Markers. If I have a song that has a bar that is 4/4 then the next bar is 6/4, over the course of a few measures the song changes up and quite often I want to place a Time Sig change on an upbeat and Reaper doesn't want to let me just drop the damn marker where I want it, it wan'ts to plop it right on the downbeat. Makes me very, very mad. Aside from disabling snap and just sliding the damn thing over (which just irks me at the thought), I have a hard time working around this.

When you insert the marker, go to the place you want to put it and make a mental note of the actual measure number. When you go to place it, yeah, it's going to want to put it on the beat sometimes, but you can just click the field with the measure/beat number in the dialog box that pops up and write in wherever you actually want it to go. Dragging never works for some reason, but that's an easy workaround.

When you insert the marker, go to the place you want to put it and make a mental note of the actual measure number. When you go to place it, yeah, it's going to want to put it on the beat sometimes, but you can just click the field with the measure/beat number in the dialog box that pops up and write in wherever you actually want it to go. Dragging never works for some reason, but that's an easy workaround.

You know, that sounds like an incredibly easy workaround and I can't believe I never tried that yet! Thank you!!