[Tutorial] Sound replacing for free using Reaper (Audio -> MIDI)

digitaldeath

Dec 7, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
Hey guys, let me start by saying yes, I have aptrigga2 which is great for straight ahead sound replacing. Drumtracker was to help me sound replace my drums using a VSTi (Addictive Drums in my case).
Unfortunately, I wrestled with that fuckin' program for hours lastnight and eventually gave up! It mistriggered a lot and with no reference guitar tracks or anything, it was a pain in the ass. Importing into Reaper sucked because the MIDI drums all started at different times etc.
So basically, here's a way to do the same thing using JS plugins that are included with Reaper and will make for a much better workflow.

In my example, I wanted to replace the snare, kick and three toms. I wanted to trigger Addictive Drums, so I could change the sound of each drum as much as I liked.
First, create a new track which will hold your drum VSTi. Set its record mode to Record: Output (MIDI) and turn on Record Monitoring. Set its input to MIDI Input -> All MIDI Inputs and select a channel here (eg. 10).
Right click on this track's I/O button and select Receives -> Kick (or whatever your kick track is called).
Now go to your kick track and insert an instance of JS: Sstillwell/drumtrigger.
Set the midi note # to the kit piece that needs to be triggered (in my case #36 for the kick) and select the MIDI channel it should output to (using the example above, it would be channel 10).
Play the wave file through and change the open threshold and close threshold values until you hear the kit piece being fired in the VSTi. What you want is when the sound goes louder than the open threshold, the midi signal is on, and when it falls below, the midi signal is off.
When that's sounding okay, place an instance of JS: MIDI/midi_velocitycontrol after the JS: Sstillwell/drumtrigger plugin.
Play around with the velocity controls while listening to your track, adjust both plugins accordingly. This only took me a minute or two, I find that JS: Sstillwell/drumtrigger sends very low velocities, so I just increased the min velocity in JS: MIDI/midi_velocitycontrol.
Repeat the process for each drum, ensuring to send each track to the track your VSTi is on. If you hear the odd mistrigger, don't worry - it's easy to edit it out later (I had to do much more editing within Drumtracker!)
Once happy, rewind the track, and hit record. Once it's recorded the new MIDI drum track, mute your existing audio drum tracks and have fun from here! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Here's how my snare track looks:
http://stashbox.org/364588/Drum Trigger using Reaper.png

http://stashbox.org/364619/Editing Drums.png <-- Reaper 2.99 Alpha Preview 8
Digi.

I don't user Reaper but very cool of you to post :kickass:

Whoah, you are using the OSX Reaper? How is that working out for you? I heard it was buggy as feck.

~006

I don't user Reaper but very cool of you to post :kickass:

Whoah, you are using the OSX Reaper? How is that working out for you? I heard it was buggy as feck.

~006

Thanks, it does tend to crash every now and then (what DAW doesn't?) but when I can do things like this for free - I really cannot complain!

Very interesting...thanks for the heads up, I may check it out now just to have something to play with :D

~006

This is probably huge, but check this theme out for OSX:

reapercapture.png

I like everything except the timeline, it's too light, no grid, unless the user turned the grid off, but the tracks look cool and the mixer at the bottom has a sleek look to it. I like yours more. Reaper reminds me sooooo much of Vegas it's not even funny.

~006

The ReaGate also has a midi out function. I use this to trigger Addictive or EZDrummer.

and here is another method for replacing hits of a stereo drum stem using ReaFir - Free Plugin for sample replacement

Last edited by a moderator:
The ReaGate also has a midi out function. I use this to trigger Addictive or EZDrummer.

Thanks for contributing to the thread Saculus. Yup, ReaGate sure does have a MIDI out function too, it comes down to personal preference which plugin to use really.
Seems that there's quite a few Reaper users here, perhaps we should start collecting tutorials specifically for the kind of work we all do here (producing metal music using Reaper).

I made a thread like this a few months back when I figured out how to do this in reaper. The drum sampler I use is reasamplomatic 5000 or whatever its called set to sample- its one of reapers stock plugs too. Also free ware drum samplers are loopazoid, shortcircuit and grizzly. Shortcircuit probably being the best of them, I never got Grizzly to work and Loopazoid only supports 16 bit samples so alot of the drum samples people here dish out won't work and it'd be a pain to convert alll of them for the sake of using a plug-in.
Kt drumtrigger is an alternative to drumtrigger or Reagate for triggering the sampler. haven't actually used it yet but it's on my to do list as I find drumtrigger to be a bit sloppy on faster rolls, especially when they're a bit inconsistent hitters.

Nice to see some other Irish users on here too- you're from Waterford/Tipp I'm guessing- i've some mates on the underground and recognise the user name and avatar from there. Limerick man myself here