[Tutorial] Sound replacing for free using Reaper (Audio -> MIDI)

blurghh!! i was trying to follow the steps in adam's tutorial video atm. i dont know which version of reaper he's using back then, but the new 3.71 reaper doesnt have the "create chromatic midi" when i right click on the wav track. Do u guys know whether its been remove or its still sumwher in there?

will try digitaldeath's tutorial for now:)

blurghh!! i was trying to follow the steps in adam's tutorial video atm. i dont know which version of reaper he's using back then, but the new 3.71 reaper doesnt have the "create chromatic midi" when i right click on the wav track. Do u guys know whether its been remove or its still sumwher in there?

will try digitaldeath's tutorial for now:)

I added that to the right click menu myself, it's in the actions list. Just search for it and run it from there, or assign it to a key command, or add it to a menu. Every menu in Reaper can be customized! That tutorial is meant for people using my Pro Tools style customizations which include the modified menus like that, but everything is still in Reaper, just gotta search for it in the actions list.

OT: I can't seem to get the drum replacer to work. I can't load any samples, and whenever I bring the original track slder uyp, it just makes a werid popping noise.

Didn't read the whole thread, but I'll add it to the 1st post:
instead of routing and recording, you can just right click on the media item, after all the adjustments have been made, and click "Apply FX to item as new take (MIDI output). Then you just copy all generated MIDI items and glue together. Takes about 30 seconds to generate the MIDI and glue in a single track. Hope I made myself clear.

Didn't read the whole thread, but I'll add it to the 1st post:
instead of routing and recording, you can just right click on the media item, after all the adjustments have been made, and click "Apply FX to item as new take (MIDI output). Then you just copy all generated MIDI items and glue together. Takes about 30 seconds to generate the MIDI and glue in a single track. Hope I made myself clear.

+1000 This is way faster and works exactly the same!

Wow, didnt realize that it was such a simple switch really, just getting used to some new terms and positioning on the screen. My only question is....

In my past Reaper use I have never been able to just pull up the Piano Roll and start creating a new midi track. is this possible in reaper? If so how? What I was doing in the past was just importing a random midi track and deleting everything out of it to be able to get to the Piano Roll.

Wow, didnt realize that it was such a simple switch really, just getting used to some new terms and positioning on the screen. My only question is....

In my past Reaper use I have never been able to just pull up the Piano Roll and start creating a new midi track. is this possible in reaper? If so how? What I was doing in the past was just importing a random midi track and deleting everything out of it to be able to get to the Piano Roll.

Select the track you want to put it on, make a time selection for how long you want the MIDI item to be then go Insert>New MIDI item...

Hey guys I kinda need some help here. I tried Niall's method in the OP and I couldn't for the life of me get stillwell drumtrigger to trigger my sample correctly. So I tried using Reagate instead of drumtrigger and it worked perfectly, not a single mistrigger but it isn't velocity sensitive (or I didn't know how to make it velocity sensitive?), all hits came out full velocity.

So I tried drumreaplacer but I put the stupid fucking folders EVERYWHERE and reaper wouldn't find it when I opened the demoproject. Then I went and checked Adam's method with dynamic splitting, but I couldn't get it to trigger correctly, a lot of mistriggers (mis-splits?) and no matter how I move the reduce splits bar, it keeps giving me insanely silly splits. If dynamic split would use a normal threshold like reagate it should work fine, but for sone reason the when gate opens option isn't working for me either, so yeah fuck my life.

Can anyone help me on ANY of these methods? Or suggest an additional free method I could try? I don't use multisamples so reasamplomatic is fine for playing the sample

Dan, why not just tab-to-transient and split them yourself if you're having probs with dynamic splitting, or use a combination of both?

when you say tab-to-transient you mean I just hit tab and split (if the transient is actually a hit) manually through the whole song? If that's so, I could do that, but is that velocity sensitive when I create a chromatic midi from that just like dynamic splitting? If so, then I'll just do that and get over with it.

I'll try it, thanks dude!

when you say tab-to-transient you mean I just hit tab and split (if the transient is actually a hit) manually through the whole song? If that's so, I could do that, but is that velocity sensitive when I create a chromatic midi from that just like dynamic splitting? If so, then I'll just do that and get over with it.

I'll try it, thanks dude!

Well I wouldn't do that with the whole song, you could be there a while.
I'd get as many of the hits with dynamic spit as I could, glue any hits it mis-split at and tab-to-trans & split at any transients it missed - basically mix it up and get a good workflow going. The velocity information is taken from each transient and so has nothing to do with how you tell it where these transients are (tab-to-trans or dynamic split).

Well I wouldn't do that with the whole song, you could be there a while.
I'd get as many of the hits with dynamic spit as I could, glue any hits it mis-split at and tab-to-trans & split at any transients it missed - basically mix it up and get a good workflow going. The velocity information is taken from each transient and so has nothing to do with how you tell it where these transients are (tab-to-trans or dynamic split).

Ok I already did it manually for the whole song so yeah it didn't take that long hahaha but I will have to do it the way you say for the whole album later on. Yeah it came out velocity sensitive so all's good now, thanks for the help dude!

Ok I already did it manually for the whole song so yeah it didn't take that long hahaha but I will have to do it the way you say for the whole album later on. Yeah it came out velocity sensitive so all's good now, thanks for the help dude!

No worries, glad it's all working out for you! Be sure to post some mixes so we can hear your progress!