Which DAW's do the Cubase style slip editing?

Not at my PT rig just now(so may have the wrong modifier key), but in grid mode you can hold CMD and drag the region to 'slip' it. I know it's an extra key to hold, but I guess that's annoying if you're used to Cubase.

I don't always fap to DAW's but when I do, I fap to Cubase 7. I was skeptical at first, I bought the license so I could use Cubase 6.5 but installed 7 out of curiosity. Never looked back. Got used to it real quick.

Not at my PT rig just now(so may have the wrong modifier key), but in grid mode you can hold CMD and drag the region to 'slip' it. I know it's an extra key to hold, but I guess that's annoying if you're used to Cubase.

But this moves the entire region, but the waveform within it, correct? Proper 'slip' editing is moving the audio around within a region that stays in one place.

I don't always fap to DAW's but when I do, I fap to Cubase 7. I was skeptical at first, I bought the license so I could use Cubase 6.5 but installed 7 out of curiosity. Never looked back. Got used to it real quick.

Really?? That's the scenario I'm in - never updated to 6.5 before 7 came out, now my only option is to upgrade to 7. Might have to consider this a bit more heavily; it just blows my mind that they removed the polarity flip button from the mixer view.

Yeah. The bottom line is that you can't slip edit Cubase style with PT however I will dispute the notion that you can't edit drums quickly with it. It's just a different workflow.

Cubase has slip edit within a region.

PT has beat detective.

Simple.

But both can be achieved given more time on the other program.

Logic has non of this (properly).

I've always been a little confused as to why that version of slip editing is supposed to be so much better. They definitely are NOT the same, but why the need to move the audio around within the region, instead of moving the region itself? you're still just..... moving audio right?

I watched that video. I can still edit very similarly in Pro Tools. Lets say you have drum tracks. Need to edit them. Sometimes BD can be a pain on complicated stuff. So if I want to do it the other way, I just click in front of the transient. Hit b to split. Move the region with the smart tool. You have to hold a key down to split and fade in cubase right? So you're still hitting a key. Then when everything is done Beat detective smoothes and fades the regions. Now that PT10 has real time fades, this is SUPER quick. Used to be a pain to wait 20 minutes for all those fades. I click once. Hit a key to split. Click to move. Done. Same amount of key strokes.

I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but is the Cubase method REALLY that much more streamlined? I'm confused.

Not trying to enflame any debate but I edit a lot of drums as well and if it's really that much faster it might be worth a look.

...I just click in front of the transient. Hit b to split. Move the region with the smart tool. You have to hold a key down to split and fade in cubase right? So you're still hitting a key. Then when everything is done Beat detective smoothes and fades the regions.

I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but is the Cubase method REALLY that much more streamlined? I'm confused.

In Cubase you really just hold the option key the entire time, then:

Click behind transient (if hit is early) or behind grid (if hit is late), press and hold the cmd key, click and drag the hit into place. Done. Cubase handles the fades for you, and there are no overlapping regions to deal with.

Cubase has slip edit within a region.
PT has beat detective.
Simple.
But both can be achieved given more time on the other program.

Not quite - Cubase has a pretty direct Beat Detective clone that works like a charm. I get the best of both worlds with the program; I can hand-edit fills and super technical parts if I need to, but I can also BD entire sections with ease. Most of the time I end up doing both in combination.

I'm willing to bet I edit more drums than anyone on this forum (not that I'm necessarily proud of that :lol: ) and I have not found another workflow that's as fast or efficient.

FWIW I've generally found the fastest way to edit drums in PT is to tab to trans, split, repeat through sections and then highlight + quantize, using BD to crossfade at the end. The downside here is that you can't vary the strength like you can with BD.

But this moves the entire region, but the waveform within it, correct? Proper 'slip' editing is moving the audio around within a region that stays in one place.

Aha... got you. Sorry, I've not used slip editing Jeff. But I can see how that's miles better.

Back to Cubase then.:D

I can confirm that the polarity flip is in the pre section that you can choose to display or not. I admit this is a bit convoluted at first but once your mixer is customized to your liking it's a breeze to use it.
Also no more floating windows retardation. About time.

701795polarity.jpg