Are people still slip editing in cubase OR are they...

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
Using the beat detective type thingy. I'm having pretty good luck with the slice, quantize and crossfade tool thing. I do not like the audio warp function.

I am not quite sure if it's always faster though. If the performance is somewhat tight and I can get several measures to work with the tool then there is no question that it is faster. But on mangled fills and some double kick parts it can be slower.

What say you?

Also: Not sure if this was a gear or production question as it pertains mainly to cubase but is on the subject of editing.

As well also: The tab to transient feature is fantastic, I just don't like the keyboard shortcut they used by default.

I just played around a little with BD in C7.5 and it brought the program to a halt. Even just chopping up 8 bars and quantizing 12 tracks of drums was a slow process. Is anyone else having an issue like that?

nope, 20+ tracks, 24+ bars, no prob.

It never sounds right to me. like the overheads/room are all goofy :err:

Track trigger along with mic just for visual editing purposes.

Try putting a transient designer or maybe a gate on the track, print it. then use it as a guide track for editing the original.

Also speaking of transients, what is the best way to find transients on soft, fast tom rolls? Real bitch

Look at the OH mics or the snare mic. The transients are usually more apparent in those.

And/or get him to hit harder, tune the toms better, or use a different mic. I've noticed some mics exaggerate transient detail while others mask it, and a well-tuned tom will have a clearer transient since the waveform itself will be a cleaner sin wave.

Yeah. Also applying a hipass filter on a close mic track (especially if you're going to replace toms 100%). Not throwing a plugin on it but processing the wav. It will reveal transients really well. That's actually why they are seen so much better in OH's.

Also speaking of transients, what is the best way to find transients on soft, fast tom rolls? Real bitch

If you have the luxury of tracking the drummer yourself tell him to man up and HIT harder. Or else you'll be stuck in the guessing game. I don't know if Cubase has that function, but on Pt you can hit shift+space to play the tracks at half the speed, can help you hear when the drummer actually hits the tom.

That's where recording triggers is the most useful for me. I try to not rely on samples when possible but triggers are awesome for editing.