Democratic National Convention?

Thanks for the compliment. :]

I watched alot of it on Tuesday and on and off tonight (Thursday) and I've watched more FOX News in the last four days than I have in my whole life. I watched most of it on c-span, but I liked switching between FOX and MSNBC to hear the blatantly partisan difference.

For me, overall, it was a very inspirational convention. It was very well designed to that end. There were quite a few great speeches and they were well spaced for maximum effect.

The highlights for me were Barak Obama (the American dream), Teresa Heinz-Kerry (the World view), Wesley Clark (diplomacy backed my military) and John Kerry (reporting for duty).

They kept panning to the croud, though, reminding me of why I'm not a Democrat.

I'm glad that Kerry made strong statements about the war on terror and how he will wage it differently. I like the respected abroad rhetoric. I would like the word trust to have been mentioned more, but hey, I screw that up alot, too. The veterens benefits and the families taking up collections for the armoured plating got me pretty fired up.

Alot of the domestic stuff, though, made me smirk. Affordable health care... ok, thanks for nothin'. Cutting middle class taxes... I'll believe it when I see it.

He made fair focus on new technologies and the research and development of these technologies, but he barely mentioned education.

I got what I was looking for, though. I was looking for him to say that he will not be a pussy, that he will buck the UN if he must, but the main goal is to earn trust and cooperation in the war on terror.

I think that his zingers against Bush were mostly bullshit (other than the veterans benefits zinger which I fully applauded). Throughout the convention, speakers were implying if not stating that he lied to get us to invade Iraq. That pissed me off. I guess that they were speakng to the Democratic base, but up here in the thumb we were listening and getting irritated.

I'm torn about the way they kept beefing up his service. I do think that it matters a great deal that he's seen combat, but I think they over sold it. I guess it works with the soundbyte media of today, though.

It was interesting to watch some of the speeches for previous years, both Democrat and Republican on c-span2. A common thread since 1980 (Reagan) was the idea of making our country less dependent on Middle Eastern oil. Will we ever hold our leaders to that?

Outstanding.

You really should be a political writer, metu. You give great analysis.

Sorry for long wait before a reply, I've been feeling like shit lately. Anyhoo...yes I watched the Dem convention and was overall unimpressed. That Barack Obama guy was pretty good, but everyone else came off as sounding like a broken record. Yes, we know you hate Bush! Now can we please move on?

Kerry's speech was as about as interesting as a dry fuck. (of course, this is only my opinion, which counts as less than nothing) I really wish I could count on him to do all those things, but, as metu said, I'll believe it when I see it. As far as being "strong at home and respected in the world," I think the former is more important than the latter. When we start basing our actions on the opinions of others and whether or not they will respect us, we're as good as dead. Of course, this comes off as being a typical "bull-headed American," but so what? If it keeps our country safe from any more attacks, I'm all for it.

I think the lack of any tangible bounce in the polls directly following the convention speaks for itself. I think the mayor from St. Paul, MN (forget his name), sums it all up really well. He is a very devoted Democrat, but he's going to vote for Bush. Why? Because he thinks that even if you disagree with Bush on policies and other stuff, what our country and our military needs is stability in this time of crisis (Iraq). The last thing we need is for a whole new government to come in and change the ways things are done. We need to stay the course.

My gum-flapping will now cease. You may all breathe a sigh of relief.

I liked that Kerry finally came out of his shell. Looked like he could've used a glass of water, though.

Barak Obama is TEFLON. He iis politically invincible for the forseeable future.

Hey, thanks again, Barth. You're a class act. Don't give me too much respect, though. I'm just some drunk with a computer. :]

The polls are even more bullshit than usual this year. They poll "likely voters." This election will be decided by people who are not on that list.

Most of the speeches were terrible and very much like a broken record, I agree. Most of the time it reminded me of a Hollywood awards show. I wish I had seen Sharpton. It sounds like it was one hell of a speech.

Obama is teflon, I agree. Switching to watch the Republicans run their damage control after that speech was awesome. They all had their eyebrows up and all agreed that that was one hell of a speech... then they changed the subject.

The band playing little ten second funk jams while the speakers approached the podium was hilarious... then funny... then sad.

The fact that they used an Irish band for the theme song pissed me off.

I'm looking forward to the Republican Convention. I wonder if Powell and McCain (my early supportees in 2008) will speak.

Barth Vader said:
How could you tell? From the copious amounts of sweat cascading from various parts of his face? :)

I don't blame him, though...I mean, how many people were watching? Like 15 million?
No, from him lickiing his lips after every sentence :D

Toolbox said:
I heard the Democrats spent somewhere in the league of a million dollars just on security. I mean, I know we're fighting a war on terrorism (which I totally support) but don't you guys think the Democrats took it a little too far? o_O

In this day and age, a million is nothing. Contrast that with the nearly half-billion dollars a day being spent on the war on terror. I'm pretty sure that the GOP will be spending just as much on security for their own convention as the DNC. :loco:

Yeah, Twilight, you've got a point, but I think that a fucking convention is a lot less important than all the other shit that's going on in this era. Fuck, dude, a million isn't that much in relative terms, but I do think that million could have been spent on something a little more worthwhile. Why not just not have a convention? The political parties could go online, start their own forums, and have discussions online. It would be a lot cheaper, and not only could the important people like Bush and Kerry have their say, but so could ordinary citizens. Then the presidential candidates would hear directly from the people about what the people want to see happen. Because America is all about the people.

Toolbox, I love this not only because I am one of those hopelessly indoctrinated Tool fans who worships their music, but I'm loving what you're saying as well.

Unfortunately (at least for me), Maynard has thrown his hat in with the stupid "Axis of Justice" people, Serj Tankian and Tom Morello. I think they're even doing a whole concert run for the purpose of voting Bush out of office.

I don't have a problem with anyone speaking their mind, but c'mon...I thought Maynard would see through a lot of that stuff.

Oh well...just my opinion, which, as it has been established, means close to nothing.

I think they should have the conventions out in the country. I bet that all in all, billions were spent on security. I'm sure that much more will be spent on security for the Republican convention.

metu said:
I think they should have the conventions out in the country. I bet that all in all, billions were spent on security. I'm sure that much more will be spent on security for the Republican convention.
I heard on the news a few weeks ago that someone discovered a plot to sabotage it.