circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Demon Hunter – Storm the Gates of Hell
Solid State Records – 094639560523 – 2007
By Jason Jordan

demonhunterstgoh.jpg

The last Demon Hunter album I heard in its entirety was 2002’s Self-Titled. Since then, the Seattleites unleashed Summer of Darkness in 2004, The Triptych in 2005, and Storm the Gates of Hell here in 2007. Evidently, not much has changed in the Demon Hunter camp, however, as StGoH is an innocuous yet Billboard-friendly record from an average band.

There are genuinely abrasive moments like in the growl-laden, guitar squeal-ridden title track, ‘Follow the Wolves,’ ‘Fiction Kingdom,’ and finale ‘The Wrath of God,’ but for the most part, this quintet lace their songs with catchy, clean vocal-lined passages as in the ballad-y ‘Lead Us Home,’ ‘Fading Away,’ and ‘Thorns.’ The silver lining is ‘Sixteen,’ which contains string accompaniment and guest vocals courtesy of ex-Living Sacrifice growler/guitarist Bruce Fitzhugh. Lamentably, with 12 tracks that last upwards of 51 minutes, this will test your patience because it’s simply not varied enough to hold one’s attention for that amount of time.

Overall, Storm the Gates of Hell is a pedestrian record that won’t appeal to many readers of this site. As for me, I preferred the brothers Clark when they were helming Training for Utopia. In any case, Demon Hunter are lucrative, which is more than can be said about the defunct TfU.

Official Demon Hunter Website
Official Solid State Records Website

I actually really enjoyed this album as gay as it sounds. I was going through some rough crap and this album really brought my spirits up.