Denial : No Comment... EP to be re-issued this year

J. Golden

Heaven and Hell Records
Oct 12, 2009
here
www.heavenandhellrecords.com
Heaven and Hell Records plan to re-issue North Carolina thrash legends Denial 'No Comment' EP later in 2013.

note; this track is from the full length, nothing on Youtube of the EP...yet.

Recorded at locally famed Reflection Studios and originally released in 1990 with the line-up of John Lawther (bass), Kelly Rodgers (drums), Joe Walsh (guitar), and Jeff Triece (vocals/guitar). The self-released six songs EP quickly caught on in the thrash metal underground and soon after its release it landed the band a deal with Colossal Records who released the band's only full length offering 'Antichrist President'. The band seemed to disappear not long after leaving behind their small mark in the world of thrash metal. Years later with the resurgence of all that is thrash and collector demand Denial's name would begin to surface once more but with a new generation of headbangers.

Denial on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Denial/137239406446899?ref=ts&fref=ts

Last edited by a moderator:
No. The full length is on of those things wrapped up with New Renaissance and I just don't want to de3al with that right now. I would like to however, as I would like to see several other titles that were associated with that label.

Is New Renaissance still keeping the rights to the back catalogue? What kind of deals all these bands signed?

Talking to a few of the bands and hearing some hearsay through the grapevine it seems that no one really knows what is going on with those bands/albums. Without going into conversation details I will say that it is pretty fucked up that older labels seat on the albums regardless if they hold the rights or not and never do anything with them such as re-issuing or whatever. After 20-30 years after an album's release if that label is not doing anything with it then the band should get their rights back. This is nothing more than these old labels (usually don't even exist any longer) holding these releases hostage. It is pretty sleazy and pathetic of some labels to do such things. This is one of the reason why a lot of great metal releases are long out of print and may never be seen again.
What is even more sad is that a lot of bands from back then are clueless about what is going on with their rights, where their albums are, etc. And in most cases they are not willing to take any charge of the situation and get their rights back, that is if they even know where to start.

Ann Bolynn is playing one such 'game' as you described. Every once in awhile she'll mention that there will be 'special' edition reissues of SOME of the New Renaissance catalog. This is done on purpose, to be vague. So, it basically covers the entire NR catalog. In actuality, there will be no reissues of any albums. She just wants to sit on them, so no one else will make a move to reissue. What really sucks is she's an entertainment lawyer, I believe, so you're not getting anything over on her.

Yep, she's perfectly content posting old pictures of herself on FB, and living off what tiny bit of notoriety Hellion had.

I did not mention Ann, I was just speaking of some labels in general, there are a few that sit on things forever and keep it from x bands. I know of a few cases in which band guys are just being strung along.
It is interesting when you talk to guys from a band and they say they never saw a cent, they were just told the "label" did not break even, yet that album is now out of print and hard to get. And there is no sign of reissue, band can't get the rights, and so on. Kinda makes ya wonder.

Ann Bolynn is playing one such 'game' as you described. Every once in awhile she'll mention that there will be 'special' edition reissues of SOME of the New Renaissance catalog. This is done on purpose, to be vague. So, it basically covers the entire NR catalog. In actuality, there will be no reissues of any albums. She just wants to sit on them, so no one else will make a move to reissue. What really sucks is she's an entertainment lawyer, I believe, so you're not getting anything over on her.

Yep, she's perfectly content posting old pictures of herself on FB, and living off what tiny bit of notoriety Hellion had.

I did read an old NRR contract recently and she does have any bands who signed that specific version of the contract by the balls....forever.

*cough* IRONCHRIST *cough* REISSUE *cough*

cough, cough Cerebus, cough, cough every other goddamn title.
Face it that label was there for only one reason and that was to support Hellion. And it is still being used for that purpose.
I recall reading a NRR forum years ago that was pretty hilarious; there was the calling on bands because there was going to be re-issues and she wanted them to get their royalities; which seemed funny when some band members would reply to the forum but get no response, Ol and her clan of internet witch hunters were funny too with all their talk and bitching about bootlegs. Strangely no one ever stopped and asked "hey why aren't these albums simply re-released?", or pointed out how interesting it is that 80s NRR albums are being sold digitally. Wonder if the bands get any cut from that, something tells me they don't.
Does seem so odd that a member of one of those bands would say "we did not see a cent. We were just told that the label never broke even", yet the albums are all gone. They had to have went somewhere.

I did read an old NRR contract recently and she does have any bands who signed that specific version of the contract by the balls....forever.

Regardless it is pretty fuckin lame, low, and sleazy when these labels hold these bands by the balls and never do anything with the albums. Certainly someone who prided herself on the fact she has been screwed around by the music industry and she became an attorney to help others from having that happen to them. Something just seems hypocritical there.

Regardless it is pretty fuckin lame, low, and sleazy when these labels hold these bands by the balls and never do anything with the albums. Certainly someone who prided herself on the fact she has been screwed around by the music industry and she became an attorney to help others from having that happen to them. Something just seems hypocritical there.

It's more like she became a lawyer so she could learn how to screw bands...TOO! I, also remember way back when she had that 'call out' to those bands to get their royalties, and then nothing ever came of it. This was a sneaky lawyers trick. A lot of the legal system in these matters is based on 'intent', and what you can 'prove' as intent. Which she did. However, she had no REAL intention on paying any of those bands. you know that saying 'keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer'? She wanted a head count as to which artists still gave a shit about receiving their fair share. I'm sure more than one band, or artist spoke up and said 'hey, we sold out of all copies of the first pressing of our album. Where's the dough?'

Directly after this 'head count', she re-issued a small portion of the NRR catalog. My guess is instead of paying these bands their royalties, she struck up a new contract with them for the reissues, which I doubt they received much money for, either. It would be cheaper to reproduce 'short run' (limited to 100) versions of these albums rather than pay out all sorts of cash to these bands. She probably promised them money from that once those copies were sold, as well. Basically, they got roped in to the same shitty deal a second time. But this time, by a 'bar passing' lawyer...

I recall in that same forum posting one of the bands she mentioned she was looking for was Cerebus, directly underneath her opening was a post by the drummer saying "here I am" basically, well the last time I spoke to him he said he had never gotten any reply.
I deon't know if there were new deals with the bands that were reissued, reading that Soothsayer interview in the last issue of Metal Maniacs suggested that there wasn't. But it does sound like a lot of bands got royally fucked over, and still are.
A friend of mine in Maryland was a guitarist in a old cult thrash band and he would really like to see their album from '87reissued. I have looked into it, Matt had shown interest, the rest of the band seemed on the fence about it but were still willing it seemed. Well the label which is still active appears to own the album, say that they are planning to re-issue it, it has been at least four years now. To me I think the idea is just being blown off while my friend was being jerked around.
Goddamn it is not that difficult of a process. I'm afraid a lot of these people (labels/bands) are going to miss the boat, it's not like these bands and fans are getting any younger and this stuff certainly isn't bringing in younger audiences.

A friend of mine in Maryland was a guitarist in a old cult thrash band and he would really like to see their album from '87reissued. I have looked into it, Matt had shown interest, the rest of the band seemed on the fence about it but were still willing it seemed. Well the label which is still active appears to own the album, say that they are planning to re-issue it, it has been at least four years now. To me I think the idea is just being blown off while my friend was being jerked around.

I still would love to do it! Have the LP too we can use for source material, or at least i did. haha. There is another band, on the same label, who is having problems getting it done. Yeah, I don't see the point of hanging onto to stuff if you have no plans to reissue it.