Desolation of Eden(Chelsea Grin) huge production?

jsaudio

Dec 30, 2010
Hi Guys this is my first post on the forum i have read so much and learned a lot already.

I am not really a fan of the band Chelsea Grin although my band opened for them when they came into town, just not my thing BUT i personally think the production on their last album desolation of eden may be the most massive sounding production i have ever heard.

I think it is perfectly clear, powerful, has a lot of punch and fits the genre perfectly.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

How maybe to achieve this massive sounding production?
sounds like very good instrument separation to me.

Also i would love to know how to get the snare sound on that album it is one of the most powerful snares i have heard any ideas on this as well?

Thanks and hope to hear from everyone

Probably the worst mix I have heard in this genre.
Bad drum tones, horrible guitar and bass tones and dont get me started on vocals.

Edit: oh yea forgot to say it was Tim Lambesis, pretty sure Adam D had nothing to do with it.

Probably the worst mix I have heard in this genre.
Bad drum tones, horrible guitar and bass tones and dont get me started on vocals.

Edit: oh yea forgot to say it was Tim Lambesis, pretty sure Adam D had nothing to do with it.

Agreed. Sounds lame. I think Tim has an engineer that works on most of the stuff that he does.

What do you guys specifically not like about the production of the cd?

I agree on the vocals though, which i could just be biased as it is not my flavor of vocal styles.

I mean for the "Deathcore" sound i think it sounds massive and it hits really hard. Do you guys have an example of something you consider a really good "Deathcore" production?

I am kind of eager to hear your opinion on that.

Thanks

I mean for the "Deathcore" sound i think it sounds massive and it hits really hard. Do you guys have an example of something you consider a really good "Deathcore" production?

I am kind of eager to hear your opinion on that.

Thanks
On this Chelsea Grin album, the guitars have too much going on in the high mids and they're WAY too loud.
The drums don't punch at all and they're pretty buried. You can barely hear the bass cut, but it's kind of muddy.

Good deathcore productions?
The Acacia Strain - The Dead Walk
Despised Icon - The Ills of Modern Man
King Conquer - Decomposing Normality, America's Most Haunted
A Plea For Purging - newest album
Whitechapel - New Era

Nothing in the mix glues at all.
its all just randomly thrown in there.

you can a/b any song of this CD with any other deathcore band and you can hear the difference.

there are way too many deathcore bands that have good production but you literally picked the one with the worst.

Hey guys thanks for your opinions as i A/B your references i definitely notice that the guitars are too loud and the mix as a whole doesn't sound as cohesive as others as Seth says it doesn't really glue together.

I don't know why i never noticed this before!

I mean i have listened to a lot of music and heard a lot of bands why did their mix stand out to me so much i mean i never even noticed how separated everything was?
I still think the snare on the album is bad ass though haha

You probably have this album in shuffle or something so when you're listening to your music and a CG song comes on you're like "whoa this sounds way different than anything else that has played! I like it!"

But when you analyze everything about the mix you realize that it stands out for all the wrong reasons.

yea it definitely stood out to me right off the bat it does have a different sound and i rarely listen to CG for fun...haha i actually only started listening to them to see what they sound like cuz my band was opening when they came through haha, I'll stick with The Contortionist, Animals as Leaders, and BTBAM haha which TC's new album "Exoplanet" is phenomenal but i don't really care for a lot of what Ken Susi did on it. But talking to the band i am not so sure they really care for it much either haha

If you have not listened to The Contortionist i highly suggest it!

www.myspace.com/theroomcoloredcharlatan

On this Chelsea Grin album, the guitars have too much going on in the high mids and they're WAY too loud.
The drums don't punch at all and they're pretty buried. You can barely hear the bass cut, but it's kind of muddy.

Good deathcore productions?
The Acacia Strain - The Dead Walk
Despised Icon - The Ills of Modern Man
King Conquer - Decomposing Normality, America's Most Haunted
A Plea For Purging - newest album
Whitechapel - New Era

FUCK YEA! Thanks dude! =D It's an honor to have two productions we did in your list!! CHEERS!

I remember sitting with Alex (there old labels owner) when he got the mixes for this. You should have seen the look on both our faces. Wish I had a picture!

FUCK YEA! Thanks dude! =D It's an honor to have two productions we did in your list!! CHEERS!
No problem, dude! That's why my band wants you specifically for reamping our EP lol.

I also forget to mention another Sonic Assault production, Silence - There Is No Place Like Home. Good God... everything on that album is MASSIVE.

joshua you did within the ruins correct? We are getting ready to play with them in like 2 weeks. Dude i have been listening to that shit seriously i think the tightest production i have ever heard. I was seriously impressed with invade