Despised Icon - Day of Mourning

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
We didn't have a thread for this album yet.
I am absolutely in love with this production.
It sounds so perfect for what they were going for.
Anyone have any info on who recorded it, or any techniques they used?

The drum sound KILLS me.

Damn sure is. I managed to steal 4 kick samples off that album in my drum pack (download link in my sig, TCI and WAVs).

It's Yannick St-Amant who recorded it! He owns his own recording studio in the north of Quebec, Canada. Actually he was playing in the band before this album. He left the band to concentrate on his family and recording career! He got a pretty decent studio/ recording room.

As for the recording tips.. I know Alex '' Grind'' Uses Ekit triggers.. thats pretty much all I know from their production! but you can look up to their studio updates on youtube maybe you'll find some hint about it !

If Yannick (or Tony for that matter) catches this thread, is it true that Eric used .70 gauge strings?
If so that's absolutely ridiculous....

One of those "IN YOUR FACE" albums. I love it. What sticks out to me, and really works wel here, are the "hard" mutes on the break downs, it almost feels like they've been gated through the kick drum.

That's just tight playing and good editing, but yeah the mix is definitely in your face. Both the drums and guitars are clear and powerful as fuck. Perfect example of how the tubescreamer + 5150 excels at extreme metal guitar tones... I want to achieve an 8 string mix with this kind of clarity and power.

I use the same set!!

It's the Baritone set and I absolutely LOVEEEEEEE it. I usually tune down pretty low on my 7 and just add a single .14 on the high E. fucking awesome set of strings. PERFECT gauges for lower tunings...!

Thanks for posting this I had always wondered about that how that album was recorded. Especially the guitar tones and the snare. The guitars are bright yet warm and full and that snare just punches through anything with authority! Does anyone know if there was much eq used on the guitars during mix down? And what settings were used on the tube screamer?

Mix was pretty basic as far as I remember.. Guitars have the typical hpf/lpf around 80 and 13k with a 1 or 2 db bump around 90hz, 1.5k, and 7kish just barely touching a c4 to tighten the lows. I originally reamped with a 5150 but after some tweaks ended up with a 6505 which to me has a little less 'sag'.. A little more upfront.

The kick was a single sample so whatever multi samples you guys have are the same sample :D

I've since gotten my room issues tweaked and get sort of bummed listening to old mixes I've done.. Wish I could go back and remix everything on my current setup.. But such is life I guess:loco:

Let me know if you have any particular questions about the mix.

Andreas

Mix was pretty basic as far as I remember.. Guitars have the typical hpf/lpf around 80 and 13k with a 1 or 2 db bump around 90hz, 1.5k, and 7kish just barely touching a c4 to tighten the lows. I originally reamped with a 5150 but after some tweaks ended up with a 6505 which to me has a little less 'sag'.. A little more upfront.

The kick was a single sample so whatever multi samples you guys have are the same sample :D

I've since gotten my room issues tweaked and get sort of bummed listening to old mixes I've done.. Wish I could go back and remix everything on my current setup.. But such is life I guess:loco:

Let me know if you have any particular questions about the mix.

Andreas

Great info man, thanks for sharing! :headbang:

As far as the kick, interesting, I honestly couldn't tell. The 4 I took and sliced up don't really give that same-hit-machine-gun-effect one expects from using just a single sample.

Thanks for that info! What did you do to that snare to get it to punch through so well? And yah I know what you mean about wanting to go back and improve mixes.

Would you be willing to share the amp settings that were used?

Great info man, thanks for sharing! :headbang:

As far as the kick, interesting, I honestly couldn't tell. The 4 I took and sliced up don't really give that same-hit-machine-gun-effect one expects from using just a single sample.

Have you tested the difference between just using one sample and all four? I could see the mix buss comp and mastering chain making each hit slightly different but all of those samples are the same hit. I generally try and use multi hit samples but when it comes down to super fast 32nd note double bass the low end can sound weird when its going back and forth between the same couple of samples.

Josh Burgess said:
That most likely just comes down to a difference in tubes between the two amps, right?

I dunno.. I have a super old block letter 5150 and it sounds noticeably different from my 6505. Ive swapped tubes between the two and they still sound different. The 5150 is a lot more saturated in the low end and sounds bigger and the 6505 is tighter and seems to react faster. Their could very well be something slightly wrong with my 5150 (its super old and missing most of its knobs and been on a million shitty tours) but it still sounds good.. just different from my 6505.

ElektricEyez said:
Thanks for that info! What did you do to that snare to get it to punch through so well? And yah I know what you mean about wanting to go back and improve mixes.

Would you be willing to share the amp settings that were used?

The snare channel was most likely the waves ssl channelstrip with a slow attack and fast release going into the massey tapehead plugin. Nothing crazy going on with it.. Just two samples mixed in with some of the real snare. Don't really remember.

Amp settings were most likely gain between 4 to 6ish, bass around 6 to 8, mids between 2 to 4, highs from 4 to 6, resonance 8 to 10 and presence between 7 to 9. I don't remember exactly but those are normally the ranges I end up with. Tubescreamer was probably 0 overdrive tone at 5 and the gain between 5 to 9. It always varies slightly.