9. Pleasures Of Flesh
10. Forceps Of Hate

Label: Adipocere Records
Release date: 2004
Artist site:
http://www.destinity.net/
GRADE:
9/10

Where in the hell did this unholy fuckin' abomination of evil come from? And I mean that in the most endearing way. This is apparently their fourth release, yet the first I've ever heard. If your main problem with DIMMU BORGIR is Shagrath's vocals and the over polished nature of their current sound, then you MUST do yourself a favor and pick up this cd. If you love black metal, if you love death metal, if you love traditional metal, pick up this fucking cd. I don't care if you have to travel to the ninth circle of hell to obtain it, by all means do so. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that this album will be in my top 10 this year, and what a surprise it is. To be honest, I just wasn't expecting much from this promo at first glance.

Seriously, the photos are your typical satanic imagery, black metal dudes with half dressed nuns doing blasphemous things with religious symbols. It's so tired I'm yawning, until the music kicks in that is. A little black, a little death, some keys, DESTINITY are what a lot of their contemporaries wish to be, but aren't, and that's abrasive while still being musical. Check out the second track, "Gloria In Exelcis Ecclesia," with it's beautiful chant before turning into one of the year's best blackened anthems. Granted, the drums could be a bit clearer at times production wise, but musically these guys are dead on. Some interesting clean vocals from their vocalist Morteus, who at times reminds me of Ihsahn. A very powerful track, sung in their native language, as is the following song, "Divine Extase," and a few others here and there.

"Until Death Desire" is pure death metal worship, what a sick, wicked guitar riff! But then, just when you think it's death, it goes completely black and comes back around again! All in under 3 minutes, too! Wonderful it is, indeed. The following track, "Sadistic Massacre," is a well written and performed number, right up there with the big names, if you ask me. Black metal with guitars that really bite.

I like the keyboard run at the two minute mark of "Black Upon The Throne," as well. But it's the eighth track, "And Silence" which features the coolest use of electronica on the album. Give it a spin, I dare ya! Don't be afraid to like it!

Glad I gave it a chance, as this has been getting a lot of play in my stereo as of late. By far one of the best damned bands to ever step foot out of France.

PJ