Destiny - The Tracy Chapter

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Destiny – The Tracy Chapter
Lifeforce Records – 2004
By Adam McAuley

destiny.jpg

Metalcore band Destiny have an interesting trait, in that their songs seem to be hypnotic or trancelike due to their structure, setting the group apart from the pack as a unique entity. A swirling concerto of guitars elevates the songs and carries them along. As usual, the clean vocals are a bit of a problem for me, as with much metalcore. They aren’t bad, but they sound strange and a tad out of place.

But it’s the atmospheric quality of The Tracy Chapter that makes it so intriguing at times…adding a surreal quality to the fairly standard metalcore Destiny play. Diversity and texture are well represented, and elevate the songs from music that could potentially seem generic. It was partway through the release that I realized the band were onto an interesting direction. Initially, I couldn’t quite pin down what they were doing, but hearing a bit more, I was able to see their good traits, and what makes them such a unique band.

One of the only major problems I have with this release is its length; at twelve tracks, it starts to run on, and grates my nerves after a while. Thankfully, the last couple of songs are solid, and keep the album from simply fading into monotony. Destiny are a quality act and should be looked into by all metalcore fans.

7/10

Official Lifeforce Records website
Official Destiny website