Destruction/Onslaught, The Underworld, London, 17 November

swizzlenuts

i'm sciencing as fast as i can
Apr 21, 2003
Arkham
Thrash, beer, and violence were the overall theme of the night.

The evening of Destruction and Onslaught starts off slow with a few Ales at a nearby pub. After walking into the venue, Onslaught was on stage playing some head banging thrash riffs. While I am not familiar with the band - apart from a few songs - they put on a good show with tons of energy, and sounded tight as hell. The sound during was clean and it was easy to hear everything going on, making them even more enjoyable. After Onslaught was finished the crowd started to get a bit thicker as the time for Destruction got closer.

destruction.jpg

I made sure I had a fresh pint in my hands when Destruction came on, because beer and thrash metal mesh together perfectly at gigs, or anywhere for that matter. I anxiously waited for the band to hit he stage. Finally, the kings of thrash came on, playing 'Curse The Gods', and almost instantly the mosh pit started, rarely ceasing the entire show. The sound during was good most of the time, but the guitar could have been higher in the mix. The only time it became muddy was when an overly aggressive part came on. The problem was probably because I was closer to the bass amp instead of the guitar amp; however, this slight issue did not make the set any worse. The vocals sounded exactly as they do on the album; moreover, the guitaring and drumming were spot on as well. Marcel (the bassist) and Mike (the guitarist) had so much intensity and energy in the songs that the mosh pit’s aggressiveness gradually increased throughout. They continued playing quite a bit of old songs and a few newer songs. The definite highlight of the night is when they played 'Total Disaster'. They band stood off to the side of the stage, played the intro, then came on and annihilated us with the riffs. The crowd went absolutely nuts when the song came on, and Destruction continued to feed off of the crowd, making the entire night that much better. Do not miss Destruction if they come near you; the neck wrecking riffs and incredible energy is something any metal head will not want to miss.

The tracks I remember them playing were the following:
Mad Butcher
Bestial Invasion
Curse the Gods
Nailed to the Cross
Deathtrap
The Butcher Strikes Back
Total Disaster

destruction2.jpg

Images courtesy of destruction.de.