Destruction - Thrash Anthems

George

Jun 17, 2004
CT, USA
Destruction - Thrash Anthems
Candlelight Records - CDL 327 - January 23, 2007
By George Grant

Destruction.jpg

Thrash is beginning to see a rebirth lately and the early groups are clearly jumping on the wagon. Whether in the form of a reissue (Sabbat) or even a re-recording of classic songs (Testament and Sodom) these bands are releasing their praised material to a new and hungry audience. Germany’s Destruction was undoubtedly a major player in the early thrash scene, and in keeping with this latest trend they too have a release for the market. As the album’s title, Thrash Anthems, suggests, this is best of compilation for new and old fans alike.

Picking songs from such legendary albums as Infernal Overkill, Release from Agony and Cracked Brain Destruction offers fans a relentless attack that fits perfectly with the style they have been known for. Expect to hear fast rhythms and heavy riffs with hints of melody attached that were a trademark of the German scene. Even after all these years Marcel Schirmer’s vocals cut like a knife and really help elevate the aggression to the songs. The real stand out tracks that will surely get heads banging are the opener ‘Bestial Invasion’, ‘Released from Agony’ and the heavily punk inspired ‘Cracked Brain.’

Since this is a re-recording of the songs, Destruction has wrapped the songs in a very sterile production. Now, for some this may not be a problem, however, I tend to not like this production style. I feel that it strips away any chance for an atmosphere to be present on the album and thus quickly makes the album seem monotonous. Yet, this is exactly the case with Thrash Anthems. While the songs are enjoyable, midway through you will certainly begin to lose interest. Even the new songs offered on the album ‘Profanity’ and ‘Deposition (Your Heads Will Role)’ get lost in the album. In the end, Thrash Anthems does serve up an exciting compilation of songs, but it also suffers with a lack of longevity. Therefore, I say skip this release and instead seek the original albums which will give a more inspired take on the songs.

Official Destruction Website
Official Candlelight Records Website