DETROIT - MAY 24TH

Ill be going, my first Opeth concert at Cluth Cargos with 2 other friends of mine. Just rescently got into them in jauary, and iam fucken loving them.

fucken amazing concert but sad to see the replacement guitarist. I was the guy who took off my shirt during Karma, in the mosh pit, if you where in that area and remember.

Fantastic show tonight! They were in a great mood and Mikael was wearing a British Steel t-shirt. He commented on how he never got into Slayer (someone yelled it in the crowd) and that Season's in the Abyss was the only thing he remotely liked. He then went on to say he was more of a Metallica guy. Then, he spoke about how The Scorpions are his favorite band and talked some Iron Maiden too! Hilarious!!

Here's the setlist:

Heir Apparent
Ghost of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
Wreath
Closure
The Night and The Silent Water
The Lotus Eater

(They came back out for the encore and Mikael had the crowd sing a verse of The Drapery Falls. He was impressed the crowd sang in tune!)

Band introductions

Encore:
Demon of the Fall

Was it just me or was Axe a little sloppy on the double bass tonight? Maybe it was where I was sitting, but Wreath sounded a bit sloppy. I was right next to the subs and his meter seemed off. Maybe a mic wasn't working properly or something because he's usually rock solid (and badass too!)

Oh yeah, first fucking post, bitches :)

Goddamn I wish I could have seen that show. I wish I had some friends that were into Opeth who could drive me down to D-Town.

Fantastic show tonight! They were in a great mood and Mikael was wearing a British Steel t-shirt. He commented on how he never got into Slayer (someone yelled it in the crowd) and that Season's in the Abyss was the only thing he remotely liked. He then went on to say he was more of a Metallica guy. Then, he spoke about how The Scorpions are his favorite band and talked some Iron Maiden too! Hilarious!!

Here's the setlist:

Heir Apparent
Ghost of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
Wreath
Closure
The Night and The Silent Water
The Lotus Eater

(They came back out for the encore and Mikael had the crowd sing a verse of The Drapery Falls. He was impressed the crowd sang in tune!)

Band introductions

Encore:
Demon of the Fall

Was it just me or was Axe a little sloppy on the double bass tonight? Maybe it was where I was sitting, but Wreath sounded a bit sloppy. I was right next to the subs and his meter seemed off. Maybe a mic wasn't working properly or something because he's usually rock solid (and badass too!)

Oh yeah, first fucking post, bitches :)

Welcome to the forum.

I noticed that, but I think it was trigger issues and the sound system more than Axe's playing. I was next to the sound board, and I overheard during the break that they were trying to fix something with his bass drums. Who really knows because I danced with the Condolezza Rice strain before the show. I thought that it took a while to bring there sound together, but when it finally came, flawless as usual.
Mix

You guys forgot to post the best parts of the show, the break between songs when Mikael sang soldier of fortune, the crowd singing drapery falls in key and Fredrieks guitar moonwalk hahahaha. I was right in front and the show sounded amazing Ghost of Perdition was ridiculous and Demon of the Fall has become my favorite live song.

Another thing I remembered today (the day after the show and my ears are still ringing) was a comment by Mikael. I don't remember specifically what song it was after, but he just strolls up to the microphone and instead of saying thank you to the cheering crowd, he says, "So, I sucked my own cock today." HAAA!! It was so random!!

After a day of soaking the show in, The Lotus Eater comes off live extremely well. It's one of my favorite Opeth tunes from any record, but damn - they really do the song justice live! The blast beats are insane!! Thanks to MixGrafix for the forum hospitality and for clearing up the mic/trigger issue on the bass drums. It was very intermittent and it really distracted from the enjoyment of Wreath. I'm not a big fan of Karma and was hoping we would get Credence instead.

One final observation. Why doesn't Opeth use actual acoustic guitars for thier acoustic songs? I'm not a fan of the clean PRS sound and I think they're doing themselves a huge injustice by not playing a song like Closure on a 12 string or other acoustic guitar. Logistically speaking, I know how hard it is to mix an acoustic from the board and to go from an acoustic on a stand and then back to your electric guitar takes time and is generally a nightmare. What about a double neck with an acoustic and an electric? I'm a recent fan, so did they used to bring acoustics to shows or have they always just played the clean channel sounds. It still sounds good, but not nearly as good as it could.

Logistically speaking, I know how hard it is to mix an acoustic from the board and to go from an acoustic on a stand and then back to your electric guitar takes time and is generally a nightmare.

You answered your own question :p