Devil Aint Fakin - Hard Rock like BLS/Alter Bridge (SoloC, Nebula, BFD, DFH)

ItsAFugazzi

boat is boat.
Jun 4, 2008
North East, UK.
www.myspace.com
New one just finished today. The intro breaks up on the left side a bit. Not sure why as it only does it when played from Dropbox. Played it through VCL media player & Windows Media Player & it's fine?

Anyhoo. This track was originally recorded last sept & JUST got round to doing vocals for it! My band has been playing this song live for a canny few months now! So fucking shitting recording the vox but I think it turned out ok! Mic used is new, first time I've used it to record (SM7B) I'm not too sure what to think yet. So opinions on the vocals in comparison to the recording would be appreciated! And overall too.

Cheers!

The Devil Ain't Fakin' (Dropbox)

- Rick.

Holy shit you can sing your ass off. Everything sounds fantastic - very up front and in your face, but not taxing on the ears at all.

Vocals also remind me a bit of Ben McMillan from Skin Yard. If you have not heard them, do yourself a favor and check them out. (Early 90's material)

Are you Axl Rose? ^^ Well done!

Fuck, what am I doing wrong to never achieve such great guitar tone with VSTs... o_O

To be honest. I think this is probably an exception! It's definitely the best guitar sound we've got yet. But I feel it may be due to the wah at the start, makes the guitars sound sweet as fuck.

Holy shit you can sing your ass off. Everything sounds fantastic - very up front and in your face, but not taxing on the ears at all.

That's probably the best feedback I could hope for! Was quite worried that the snare especially would be too much with it being pretty cut through, for the whole song.

Vocals also remind me a bit of Ben McMillan from Skin Yard. If you have not heard them, do yourself a favor and check them out. (Early 90's material)

Checked them out, I think his voice is a bit more rough & manly sounding than mine lol. Still, never heard their stuff before so i'll be giving them a proper checkout now!

Sounds pretty great. Love the guitar riff at the start.

A few things:
Vocals could be raised a touch in the chorus. You've got an amazing 'donut hole' going on there, with all the elements loud and up front but 'surrounding' the vocals, leaving them to poke through. But still the vocals are a little quiet.
The acoustic guitar on the right in the chorus needs a little work. I thought it was a synth at first.
Personally I would have gone for a really nice ringy snare, I'm not digging the dryness of this one, and not digging the verb either. It may be what you're going for, but I can't help but think a really ringy, trashy snare would fit better.

Sounds pretty great. Love the guitar riff at the start.

A few things:
Vocals could be raised a touch in the chorus. You've got an amazing 'donut hole' going on there, with all the elements loud and up front but 'surrounding' the vocals, leaving them to poke through. But still the vocals are a little quiet.
The acoustic guitar on the right in the chorus needs a little work. I thought it was a synth at first.
Personally I would have gone for a really nice ringy snare, I'm not digging the dryness of this one, and not digging the verb either. It may be what you're going for, but I can't help but think a really ringy, trashy snare would fit better.

Vocal levels were a bit of a tricky one. I fiddled on with the volume of the vocals over & over until I decided they fit best just on the slight side of a tiny bit too quiet. Not sure why but when I turned them up a bit the mix just got a lot messier. I think the guitars are too bright which when coupled with the louder vox they started to clash and the mix became a bit messy.

However, I'm using a template to record the new album in. I'm finishing the songs one by one. All guitars, bass and drums ready just waiting for vox. So the good thing about this is I can have the time to realise the issues with each song before putting them on a cd. I already know about 5 things that need changing on this mix but i plan on leaving it in the can for now & just let the issues etc become more apparent as I work on the other songs!

Sounds really good. And gets me upset, wanna have such a good singer for my stuff as well :D

Sounds really good. And gets me upset, wanna have such a good singer for my stuff as well :D

haha, well I only started singing in 2006 cause I was sick of recording songs with no vocals! took me about 2 half years to get decent at it! Funny too cause i didnt really put much effort into learning! Just sang along with Tony Bennett songs lol! :loco: