Devildriver Guitar Tone Test (Axe-Fx Ultra)

Teddyboy

Oct 6, 2008
Athens,Greece
www.facebook.com
Here's a short clip I recorded, trying to recreate one of my favorite guitar tones, the Devildriver sound from "The Last Kind Words" album. I used an ESP Eclipse into Axe-Fx Ultra with Redwirez Mesa Impulses. No post-eq used in DAW. The song is called "Clouds Over California"

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right about being a bit dark, the strings were pretty dead, but I was really happy that, without even touching eq in Reaper, I could make a tone so close to the original. I guess that with fresh strings it would sound pretty much the same.
Definitely my favorite sneap tone!!!!

Thanks for listening and commenting!!

Yeah it sounds similar but damn those vocals are identical good job man :p
What redwirez impulse is that ?

Thanks guys! Of course I used some moggs I found in the net, I wish I could sing like Dez.... The whole point of the clip was to show how close to the original the guitars can sound and how well they can sit in a mix.

I used the 5150 in the axe-fx with the MesaRectifierV30s-SM57-CapEdge-1in impulse from Redwirez

I must say, it's very good if you want that kind of tone, although to be honst I hated DDs sound this album and all to follow. Really overproduced and extremely static, with very annoying mid peaks and way to snappy drums.

I know what you mean, a lot of people seem to really dislike this tone and this production in general. To me, it's one of the best Sneap tones-mixes and what I wanted to do was to make a really basic preset that can give the Devildriver vibe.

The high range is too dark, but also too dirty for this album. It sounds like you need to lower the treb control and raise the pres control.