Devin, Bodom, Septicflesh, Obscura at the Best Buy Theater

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Amazing show last night, Devin was so fucking incredible, and Bodom as well - both 100% spot-on in their performances, amazing sound (not too loud, right below the "earplugs are a necessity" level), and so energetic; fortunately Alexi was having a good day I guess, cuz he was on-point with teh shredz! And Septicflesh was fucking cool as hell too, though they had their sound cut and the lights brought up on 'em in their 3rd song which was pretty goddamn lame - still, definitely gonna have to check them out, they brought the evilz. Pics here, and I also got to meet Devin, incredibly nice guy, humble, appreciative, a true class-act :kickass::worship:

IMG_0818.jpg

Oh yeah, and Obscura had pretty shit sound (inaudible guitars, largely due to the overpowering rumble of the bass), but I dunno, seemed like just kinda boring semi-tech death metal, not really my thing

Obscura are the poor man's Necrophagist with "progressive" elements.

Although, Hannes has the hardest hitting blastbeats I've ever heard live, he's on another level.

I think the level of sloppyness relates directly to Alexi's alcohol level on a particular night.

The best gig of theirs I've seen was back in 2002 on Wacken Open Air Festival.

Now, their headliner gig on Summer Breeze festival last year was nothing short of an abomination. Alexi couldn't play a single solo right, missing notes right and left and basically shitting all over his musical legacy... with a horrible, thin tone to boot.
My buddy and I were standing there looking at each other in utter disbelief, then both simultaneously cringing when Alexi announced "Kissing the shadows"... and proceeded to butcher the hell out of the leads. Stockholm Knockout was great in comparison.

But the single most unbelievable thing about it was hearing random people (apparently non-musicians) after this disgrace of a gig, saying stuff like "Yo dude, this Alexi guy really plays, like, the greatest solos..."
It must be true, ignorance IS bliss after all! :zombie:

However, for some reason, Roope can still play no matter how wasted he is. :lol:

When I saw Bodom, I decided to count how many times he said "fuck" when talking to the crowd between songs. After the third song, I lost count somewhere near 50. They weren't that great in my opinion, but they did have to come on after a blindingly good Ensiferum set, and the sheer carnage that was Amon Amarth...