Devin Townsend - Live at Tuska 2010 - Free 30 min live video

Ronixis

Rocket surgeon
Dec 1, 2006
Finland

Incredible performance. For some reason I think I'm hearing auto-tune artifacts here and there. Knowing Devin and his amazing pitch, I'm 99 % sure it's something else. If there's someone on this planet who doesn't need pitch correction, it's Devin. Nevertheless, there's something weird going on with the vocal sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuck me that sounds amazing for a live show. Well done Devin! There could be some tuning going on, but it really doesn't bother me, its very subtle if anything.

For some reason I think I'm hearing auto-tune artifacts on here and there. Knowing Devin and his amazing pitch, I'm 99 % it's something else.

This reminds me a really small gig I was two weeks ago. One guy, one acoustic guitar and one mic. He sang in a way that it seemed he had an autotune on his vocal chain. I mean, that wasn't subtle. Bet the whole forum would have thought the same. It was hard to me to believe it and tried to find trick. Luckily, the gig was so small that I was able to see everything that went from the stage to the desk. Do you know what I saw between the mic and the desk?

I found this:

xlr-xlr-30_thumb.jpg

There was absolutely nothing in the vocal chain and I felt so good about that that I cannot describe the feeling I had in detail. It was simply amazing to find a musician singing so well that he seemed autotuned.

In any case, Devin uses a computer on his rack and he also has backing tracks. Some of these could be the reason of the artifacts you are hearing. But it could be he sings so well that he seems autotuned.

uber-amazing!
devin coming out with this kind of hat is awesome!
deadhead and life are amazing songs and devin's action at the end is priceless.

Wish I'd been there... Well anyways had a change to go to Tuska this year and see Devin also!

Nice, the live sound sounds a LOT better than the album, nice to hear those songs with some balls to the sound.

This made my day !

It's edited though, 6:21 you can see him yell something, and hear nothing. So maybe there are some artifacts that are real autotune ones after editing ? I hear nothing special, though.