Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad appreciation thread

i'll just take the oportunity to say that devin townsend is the most versatile and elite singer in metal right now and thus townsend got my uttermost respect.

death growls, over the top (and i really mean over the fukkin top!) screams, mellow clean vocals, edgy glammier vocals, operettic vibrato vocals, hardcore vocals, u name it...

sure there are tons of bands using growls and cleans but how many can go from screams to a clean voice in the same breath and even back again?!? now thats zum sikk talent...

I have to admit I've never been very taken with SYL or Devin Townsend's music, but I'll give Alien a try and see if I like that.

Devin is a very talented musician. I guess you guys would like his solo band too, try checking out the cd "Terria", there's some awesome songs on there.

I actually prefer Accelerated Evolution to Terria (though Terria definitely has its moments, especially with Canada and Earth Day)
I was very impressed when seeing him live in my home town on the SYL tour, and was amazed with the change he went through between bands. He was very mellow during the DTB set, and absolutely insane with SYL. He was like a completely different person. It really seemed to wear him out though, as he seemed half dead after the gig. I also have to add that Gene Holgan was great. An absolutely amazing drummer and really full of energy. He even signed my poster, shook my hand and held a conversation with me before I noticed he was in front of me....

Originally posted by Jinn:

wrong forum. Devin Townsend forum is up there /\

Originally poted by Blakkheim:

i'll just take the oportunity to say that devin townsend is the most versatile and elite singer in metal right now and thus townsend got my uttermost respect.

death growls, over the top (and i really mean over the fukkin top!) screams, mellow clean vocals, edgy glammier vocals, operettic vibrato vocals, hardcore vocals, u name it...

sure there are tons of bands using growls and cleans but how many can go from screams to a clean voice in the same breath and even back again?!? now thats zum sikk talent...

Ha, take that Jinn! =P

@Khayman666: I'm actually inclined to agree with you. Accelerated Evolution is fucking great. I just got Terria the other day and I'm still digesting it -- it takes more getting used to. That means I'll probably end up liking it better, though.

Alien's another one that grows on you. It's actually approaching the City pinnacle, for me. It's certainly more complex than City or SYL, and I assume Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing. I really hope to go see SYL next Tuesday in San Francisco. Judging by the DVD, I expect that it'll be an AWESOME show (if you don't count the absolute nobody bands that are opening for them). My biggest fear would be that Devin would lose his voice at some point during or prior to the show. God knows that most people's would.

There was actually a period when I would've said Terria was very high on my list of absolute favourite albums, and it definitely does get better with every listen. AE booted it down a few spots because of Deadhead and Suicide though.

Yeah, Deadhead and Suicide are top-notch fucking songs. I especially like the part in Deadhead where he sings, 'You are so vicious, hurt me, I can take it.' There's so much emotion. I also like Depth Charge and Storm a lot -- Depth Charge just because it kicks ass, and Storm for the ending vocals, which are so emotional. Random Analysis is a fun song, too. Damn, this album really slays.

I really must admit that Devin is a complete badass.......but for some reason I have never taken to anything I have heard by SYL or any Townsend related stuff.......could just be me being closeminded....I get like that on occasion.......just not my style....but Devin is a badass....

Hah. I was blasting alien earlier aswell. BLAKKHEIM I LOV U OMGPLZ?? I own all of the SYL material, as well as all the Devin material.... Apparently I finished my collection of them on Christmas, when I purchased a massive load of CDs from Century Media.

Blakkheim said:

I love Devin's work on those SYL albums (alien included) as well as his solo work...Terria, Infinity..etc. But he has not impressed me with his live vocals yet. Their DVD is entertaining...and I've seen SYL twice now...and he doesn't pull it off near as well. And to me..that's where it really counts. Still..great...but not...amazing.