Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I've had this disc for nearly two months in my stereo. Killer shit as always. Has anyone else heard it? What do you think?

Here's my review of it:
Something inside me says people reviewing this album will focus more on the concept rather than the music presented on this disc, so I'll leave it up to them. All I will say is that Devin Townsend Presents Ziltoid the Omniscient is a sci-fi tale about a guitar-playing alien who pays a visit to planet Earth. To further investigate the plot, all you need to do is buy the album and read the booklet, which includes all lyrics except for "Hyperdrive", and it also features passages that are not sung/spoken in the songs -- then you should have fairly solid idea on what the story is about.

For starters, Ziltoid is a solo album in the truest sense. Devin Townsend wrote all songs, recorded, mixed, and engineered everything by himself. He also played all instruments, except the drums which he programmed on the Drumkit From Hell software that Meshuggah's Tomas Haake sent him. Granted the drumming does not sound as organic as, say, Terria, the somewhat industrial beats, juxtaposed with tons of samples, give off an alien-like quality to the songs, which definitely fits the concept of this album. This is also what distinguishes Ziltoid from the earlier Devin Townsend record musically. Other than that, traces of both Synchestra and Accelerated Evolution, the two previous albums, can be detected in some of the songs here. A good dose of aggressiveness and openness of either album turn into pivotal points in the course of the album, depending on the mood intended to portray.

Those who consider Ocean Machine Devin Townsend's unrivaled masterpiece will be pleasantly surprised by tracks like "Hyperdrive", which is defined by clean harmonies, liquidy guitar phrases, and the droning, meditative atmosphere. Also, "Color Your World", at nearly ten minutes, establishes a context in which Devin deftly packs both the harmonic brilliance of Terria and the peaceful, unique aural experience of Ocean Machine. The classically influenced midsection transitions into the Biomech aesthetic so seamlessly that you feel like you're listening to both masterpieces in a single composition. Speaking of seamless transitions, the spoken-like death growls on "Planet Smasher" turn into Devin's trademark confident clean singing in the blink of an eye as well.

"By Your Command" and "Ziltoida Attaxx!!!" both contain Devin's theatrical, less intensified SYL type of growling fused with hilarious lyrical content, and his classic epic arrangements defined by rising synth modulations and furious double bass drum battery. The latter even features an unexpected guitar solo atop a dissonant rhythmic cluster. To balance things out, Devin offers his deepest clean singing to date -- which eerily evokes Dan Swano at his most expressive -- on another mammoth number, "Solar Winds", poised to become many a fan's favourite off of this record, along with "The Greys", a modern take on the sounds of his first solo album. Halfway through the song, heavier guitar accents come in rolling whilst the classical touch of Terria's symphonic quality crops up. This is music with immense impact. Period.

Being a rock-opera kind of thing, there is plenty of narratated sections on most of the tunes, which can be annoying at first. However, after repeated listens, these voice-overs will fade into the background, much like the spoken stuff in the intro of Terria's "Earth Day". Also, the Ocean Machine-like material, which boasts profound ambient passages filled with tidal waves of churning guitar riffage, utilizes Devin's vocals as an extra dimension to the music, rather than a vocalist simply adding his nth melody to an already challenging and well crafted composition. "N9", for instance, is one of these songs. Aside from the heavier Strapping Young Lad-inspired guitar attacks and smashing rhythms, the piece is carried by wonderfully arranged, sweeping melodies distilled into dissonant passages of Middle Eastern textures. Amidst all of this are Devin's otherworldly vocal lines interwoven into the layers. It's simply beautiful.

The first and last tracks serve more as an intro and outro to the album, and track eight, "Omnidimensional Creator", at less than a minute, is more of a precursor to the grandiose "Color Your World". Overall, Ziltoid is a cosmos of sound, which deliberately functions as a genre-crosser whilst retaining Devin Townsend's truly unique songwriting vision.

Considering that Devin was hut both the DTB and SYL on hold and stated that he will solely focus on his solo career, hopefully he will put out more albums that continue to shock and please his loyal fan base.

Cheers!

I like Ziltoid a lot. I feel like his styles (SYL and DTB) have finally truly merged with this album. However, it simply cannot compare to his masterpieces. Which are, in my opinion Infinity for DTB and City and Alien for SYL.

A lot of people consider Terria or Ocean Machine to be his DTB masterpieces, but I disagree. Infinity appeals to me much more.

A lot of people consider Terria or Ocean Machine to be his DTB masterpieces, but I disagree. Infinity appeals to me much more.
I personally consider all three of them as masterpieces. They're all full 5-star albums in my opinion. Everything else deserves either 4 stars or 4½ stars to me. That said, Infinity is certainly Devin's hardest one to get into -- it's controlled chaos and the mix is uber-godly too. Not really the best starting point to get into Devin methinks.

See, that seems weird to me because Infinity was the easiest for me to get into, aside from Synchestra. But to each their own, I suppose. :)

i've found synchestra to be the most appealing. granted, it was the first one i purchased and the one i've listened to the most. i like everything he puts out though. would be cool to see him team up with micke å. at some point.

I like Ziltoid a lot. I feel like his styles (SYL and DTB) have finally truly merged with this album. However, it simply cannot compare to his masterpieces. Which are, in my opinion Infinity for DTB and City and Alien for SYL.

YES. Exactly. I never understood all the hype for Terria, and it took me a long time to even get into it at all. Whereas I pretty much loved Infinity from the start. I agree on City too. Although I never got into Alien.

Devin is a genius, everything with his name on it is usually musical gold. Ziltoid is awesome as expected...I just hope he makes more ambient records.

YES. Exactly. I never understood all the hype for Terria, and it took me a long time to even get into it at all. Whereas I pretty much loved Infinity from the start. I agree on City too. Although I never got into Alien.

Aww, really? Alien is probably my no. 1 CD of all time. The song are amazingly brutal and chaotic. And the production makes my dick hard like no other. And his singing/screaming... oh my god how I love that CD.

Am I the only one who likes Accelerated Evolution the best? Well, it's a toss up between AE and Terria.

Acclerated Evolution> Terria>Synchestra>Ziltoid>Ocean Machine>Infinity>Physicist>the Dev Lab stuff.