Devin Townsend

jealousy

Aug 1, 2001
Oulu, Finland
Visit site
I've had some of Devy's stuff on my computer for a while now but only in the past few days have I really started to get into it. Life (Ocean Machine) rules!

Anyone else here dig his stuff?

i like all of his dimensions... he's not too proud of his SYL side, but their awesome to rock out to. Townsend, to me, aslways sounded like a blend of Opeth with Nine Inch Nails

Devy is definitely one of my favourite artists.

The fact that he's so eclectic is also very good since it's hard to get bored when there's this much variety in his projects.

NP: Maudlin of the Well

Heya.

I love Devy's stuff... Ocean Machine is one of my favourite records ever - it simply rules. Every track is excellent. Infinity is very cool in it's very unusual way, and just yesterday I picked up my copy of Terria, I'll let you all know what I think of that in a few days after a few more listens.

(and of course, SYL kicks my ass)

I've never heard Devins Townsend.

Can you guys recommend any standout or trademark or signature tracks for me to sample?

Also, what do you guys feel about Dan Swano? I've heard these guys compared to eachother, and I love Swano's work. Is Townsend better?

Originally posted by Xtokalon
I've never heard Devins Townsend.

Can you guys recommend any standout or trademark or signature tracks for me to sample?

Also, what do you guys feel about Dan Swano? I've heard these guys compared to eachother, and I love Swano's work. Is Townsend better?

It would be hard to recommend a "signature" track since Devin has many projects (instead of releasing all albums under the same name, he create different projects with different sounds and concepts).

As for Swano, I don't think that Townsend can be compared to him in sound... But in overall talent and artistic vision, he surely can (although I prefer townsend of those two.. even if Swano does rule).

Hey, X.

If Frank Zappa and Opeth never existed (terrible thought, pardon me for saying it) then Devin and Dan would be in competition for my favourite artist ever. I'll give you a quick Devin run-down... (I have to promote my hometown artist):

Strapping Young Lad - his first "band", kinda a cyber-deathmetal feel, sorta like Fear Factory on speed, but better and more melodic and interesting. Check out their second, the "City" record... the first one "Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing" wasn't all that memorable.

Ocean Machine - Melodic hard rock... loosely based on a concept of what the Ocean would sound like if set to music. Flowing, very encompassing, lots of big chords, big melodies, lots of keys, a sprinkling of samples, and very very epic. My favourite by far.

Infinity - Very very odd. Best comparison I can make is to the Cardiacs (ask Lee_B about this). Many crazy layers of music, very very intentionally "over"-produced. Devin gave himself a nervous breakdown obsessing over this record (it took, like, a year to make), and it shows... it is quite insane.

Physicist - Speed Metal Pop songs. Something Devin did between Infinity and Terria to kinda recover and because he was bored.

Terria - Not sure yet, just got it. Kinda halfway between what Infinity "blown up" (as Devin put it) would sound like, and Ocean Machine (the concept being Terria is to earth what Ocean Machine was to water). I like it thus far, that's for sure...

Like Mikhail Capone said, though, it's hard to nail Townsend down in just a few tracks as all of his projects are all pretty different and all very album-oriented.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/240/devin_townsend1.html

Listen to "Life" from Ocean Machine (kinda what would be the radioplay single from that record) and Bad Devil from Infinity (it's interesting... kinda like metal meets 40's swing music or something)

for more info...
http://www.hevydevy.com

(this post was sponsored by HevyDevy Records)

I got a pre-release of Terria, the new Townsend album, a few weeks ago, and its great. Its meant to be played as one whole song. I love Townsend, and still think OM is his best...also, am I the only one who thinks a Townsend/Nightingale tour would kill?

Leper Affinity:

"one can approach music objectively by judging the quality of its creativity."

Quality is subjective, contrarily to quantity, which is objective.

Therefore judging about the quality of something can never be objective. It's a judgement of preference, in this case about aesthetics, which is even more trickier, since aesthetics is based on not only personal tastes but socio-cultural background, among other things.

If we only looked at the quantification of Devin's music, and if that could be used to argue about music objectively (which can't), we could say that since most of Devin's work is mostly non-ressemblant to most of non-Devin music in existence, that the quantity of his creativity would be higher, if creativity could be measured by statistical comparison to works of others, which probably can't be.

Anyway all of that is to say...you basicly like him less than other people, indeed.

Mikhail Capone -
Actually, no. Anything interesting there?

Sadistik -
A Townsend/Nightingale tour WOULD kill... I've only met Devin breifly at an autograph signing, and never seen him live, and since there'd surely be a stop here it would give me the chance to see Dan (which might otherwise never happen). And again, with the exception of Opeth, my two favourite currently touring artists... that would rock my proverbial world to it's musical core.

Zerokelvin -
Heh. Welll... I admit my statement was somewhat poorly backed, I've only heard parts of the albums and heard a few reviews... but hell, it is Devin, I'm sure it was humerous. Ever heard Punky Bruster?

I have the Devin Official Live Bootleg....its fun and proves he has a killer live show....He'll never come to the US though as there is no market here....

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
Mikhail Capone -
Actually, no. Anything interesting there?

Lots and lots of off topic stuff and stupid discussions, but when there is some news it'll show up there first - also, Tracy (Devin's wife and the President of Hevy Devy Records posts there).

NP: MotW - Bath