DGM - Different Shapes

Empty Vision

The Accolade
Feb 15, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I bought this album today after reading one good review, I needed new music so I got this, this album fucking rocks. First album I've heard from DGM but if all their material is as top notch as this then consider me a fan. Amazing musicianship accompanied by HEAVY metal with touches of power metal, death metal and a large amount of prog. Its hard to not think 'Dream Theater' whenever a prog metal band does keyboard/guitar trade off solo's and while this band does bear some similarities to the mentioned band they definately have their own thing going. This album has a great groove throughout and some really nice melodies and while there is plenty of instrumental masturbation from all members it never goes into 7 minute long solo battles.
Good vocalist, combo between Dio and... (?), amazing drumming, kller bass lines which are very audible for most of the album, speedy keyboard solo's and a stunning guitar performance in both riffs and solo's. If any SX fans havn't heard this album yet then I highly recomend you do so, this was a pleasant surprise and well worth the 30 bucks. Add this to the list of prog-metal album of 2007 that are better than Systematic Chaos :lol: .

First spin impressions:
Pretty generic. Decent vocalist, sounds a bit like "heavy" Allen (at least on the first song). Stupid band name. Italians.

3 out of 5.

Still really enjoying this album, it may not be the most original but they have a hell of alot of energy and some really net songs. I like this more than some of the other prog metal bands ie. I recently bought the mos current Time Requiem album and I enjoy this DGM album a lot more than TR.