DGM - Momentum

Jind

Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)
Mar 7, 2009
Just received my copy of DGM's new album Momentum and it's great - one of my favorite albums so far this year.

If your unfamiliar with DGM, they are an Italian Power/Prog Metal group named after three of the original members, ironically none of which are still in the band. This is their 8th full length and the production by guitarist Simone Mularoni sounds wonderful. Not only did he do a great job with the production, he's one of my favorite guitarists - definitely a shredder, but extremely melodic. The fact that one of my other favorites on guitar Jorn Viggo Lofstad from Pagan's Mind appears on the track "Chaos" is just a bonus.

The first single from the album, "Reason" has a guest appearance by Symphony X frontman Russel Allen.

Well worth looking into if you enjoy some extremely melodic power/prog.

PS - love the flat black Telecaster Simone is playing in this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Preeeeeetty awesome, never heared of those guys before!

For some reason the drums sound SD2ish to me though...dunno

Preeeeeetty awesome, never heared of those guys before!

For some reason the drums sound SD2ish to me though...dunno

I had not heard of them prior to their last album frAme but that album really got me into them. From that i also discovered Smone Mularoni other group Empyrios - they have a new album coming out this year as well.

Here is an example of Empyrios (they are much more in the Scar Symmetry vein) - from their album The Glorious Sickness:

Empyrios is awesome. DMG I remember hearing some tracks long time ago, and they were too power metal for me. But I gonna hear the track when I get home.

Awesome musicians, although it's not really my cup of tea... Also love the Telecaster.

If you want to see more of them I stumbled across this YouTube video which is their entire concert they released as part of their 15th anniversary product titled Synthesis back in late 2010. It included this concert footage as well as a CD of rerecorded older songs with the current band lineup.

Musically I've always thought they were mostly in the more melodic Dream Theater moments vibe, the Images and Words era stuff mixed with some Octavariam and some Symphony X (especially on this album)added for good measure. They clearly have a very melodic side with pop sensibilities, which in my case I find enjoyable. Much like almost everything I like - I value variety in the music I choose to listen to - while I love heavy heavy music, I'm just as at home with extremely melodic somewhat singalong stuff as well.