DI and Re-Amp box, which ones?

GrantMcFarland

New Metal Member
Dec 10, 2008
okay so heres the deal, I know this company makes good stuff. Theres a $100 and $200 one for each. My buddy carson has the more expensive ones, and I know they work great. I'm wondering about the difference in quality. Because I don't wanna go halfway and end up spending money on the better one then.

DI's

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProDI/ - $99
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDI - $199 < the one carson has

Re-Amp Boxes

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProRMP - $99
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XAmp/ - $199 < the one carson has

Input please?

sweet! Looks like the redeye is the way to go...especially seeing as i already have a firestudio.

Yeah, mine has been fantastic! Just be sure to open it up and disengage the pad button deep inside (teehee) the unit the SECOND it arrives!

oh, why does it have a pad button that is not easily reachable? that seems odd...and that it is always on.

Also, a little confused with some of the posts - with the firestudio and the redeye can I monitor my input with my podx3?

Yeah, the Redeye is like any other DI box in that you'd plug your guitar into it and it has both an XLR output that would go directly into a preamp on your FS and also a 1/4" unbalanced "thru" output that you'd send to your amp/Pod/whatever. And don't ask me what the logic behind the pad is, it's really quite dumb, and although there is a hole to access the button, you would need like a 4" long toothpick to get at it :erk: But at least once you've disengaged it, there's never a reason to put it back on! (if you EVER wanted to lower the volume of the signal you were re-amping, and I don't know why anyone would cuz it's a passive box, that's why there's the knob on the front!)

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help dude. I can't wait to mess around with impulses..i feel a little restricted with my pod.

No problem man! Yeah, the pod is cool cuz it's a self-contained preamp with its own processing, but sounds very dated IMO

How many times is this going to be covered?

Jesus fucking christ...

~006

1228762837478.jpg

:lol:

Yeah, mine has been fantastic! Just be sure to open it up and disengage the pad button deep inside (teehee) the unit the SECOND it arrives!

Hey Marcus. I just disengaged it with the blunt end of a toothpick. It can be done, you just have to keep the pick straight otherwise you miss the button.

I can't believe it came with the pad in as default. That's really strange. Does the pad seriously affect the level coming out of the re-amp out?

Well I did some successful reampage with it in, but in my research I read tons of complaints about the level (turned out they all hadn't disengaged the pad) - I'm not sure how much it attenuates, but from the LL website:

Pad is an internal push switch reachable by a thin screwdriver to select the reamp in pad for +4dB (pad in). Pad in is used when the redeye is used as an extra output for the PCP, or with any +4dB line level inputs. Pad out is for use with low level devices such as an active DI without gain.

I guess that makes sense since a line level output is at +4 (adding gain to the chain), but I'd rather start higher and just use the re-amp level knob to attenuate the signal (since that's all it can do) if I ever needed to (and I never have). I guess the +4 is offset by how dynamic a guitar DI signal is; the pad would probably be more useful for re-amping something with less dynamics (for the funky effect of running, I dunno, drums through an amp or something ridiculous like that :rolleyes: )

Hmm, very interesting. I'll give it a spin with the pad disengaged and see how it goes. A lot of it really depends on how hot the DI guitars are tracked. With your EMG comparison I had to crank my TS and amp gain a bit, but with some others (oddly enough, ones that usually sound worse in the end) I found it had plenty of gain.

I'm not quite sure, but I think my Multiface is a +4dBu device, so I can probably get away with the pad in, provided the DIs are tracked at a reasonable level.

Well I'm pretty much certain that any balanced output is +4, and I don't really see a need to have the pad in when the knob is right there! And since the Reamp doesn't have a pad, I think it's probably just a case of Jonathan Little wanting to cover ALL the bases (he seems like that kind of a guy, when I met him at NAMM he reminded me of Brent Spiner's character in "Independence Day" :lol: )