Reamping "noise problem" Help Me Guys!

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
I know this has been covered before, but when I do my reamping I do have a pretty decent amount of hiss/white noise/shit when I'm reamping. I thought the issue may be a ground loop between my amp and computer, so I bought an Ebtech Hum-X and it actually made the noise WORSE. When I have the cable plugged in from the line out of my Fireface 800, it makes no noise. As soon as I turn the monitor on for the signal, I get some hardcore hissing and other crap. I'm assuming this is all the computers fault, which makes sense. I know Metaltastic recommended one of these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumXLR/

Is this the answer?

Any advice?

Been there, gave up. I even bought that hum-x and returned it. Went round and round asking questions, did clips, tried everything.

I've had the most luck with having my amp plugged into the same outlet/power strip as the interface. I run out of the reamp box into a noise suppressor before hitting a tubescreamer/amp.

Good luck.

As soon as I turn the monitor on for the signal, I get some hardcore hissing and other crap.

By monitor I take it you mean active monitor speakers? If the noise is absent when they're off, the amp in the monitor speakers is your main suspect.

Try moving them as far away from the reamp setup as possible. If the noise decreases as they get farther away, there's your answer.

Are your monitors connected by balanced audio cables? If so, do they have a ground-lift switch? If so, you could try moving them to a different mains socket with the ground lifted, see if that changes anything.

I'm assuming this is all the computers fault, which makes sense.

If there's no noise when your computer's on, and the noise only appears when you switch your monitors on it actually doesn't make very much sense to blame the computer, surely? :err: