DI/Hi-Z input question

xTomx

Oct 29, 2009
Milton Keynes
At the moment I'm using the high impedance input of my Line 6 Toneport UX8 to DI guitar, but when I use an amp-sim the attack of the notes seems to be softened or blurred.

This is obviously a problem as the 'chug' type transients are so essential to a modern metal style tone.

I realize my Line 6 pre-amps are hardly Apogee quality, is this is a problem common to DI/Amp sims in general or do I just need to correct one aspect of my signal chain?

Would REALLY appreciate any input on this.:)

i would say it is in the sims from my experience. Most sims don't accurately model the triode very well, sims don't saturate like a real triode will and they don;t have any weight to them other than the mud frequencies. Getting a sharp attack tone and not be brittle (still have tons of low end beef) is only possible if you mic a real amp.

+1 The toneport is not a great unit if you're looking for pristine sound.

I just bought it because I believed the marketing crap Line 6 spewed, in hindsight I should have got an I/O with less inputs and better pre-amps.

If given the choice I'd mic up alot more, but I have a terrible Peavey cab and flatmates to worry about.

Is it worth recording DI then re-amping later or is that attack just DOA once it's been recorded dry?