Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
DIABOLIC – INFINITY THROUGH PURIFICATION
Olympic Recordings - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

diabolic__infinity_through_purification.jpg

The first time I had heard of Diabolic was in a live setting and I remember not being too impressed by them and therefore I did not check any of their albums despite the fact that hearing a band live without hearing any of their material before is not my best way to get a first impression.

When Infinity Through Purification arrived I was mildly interested into what they had created. When I read that Neil Kernon was the producer of the album I became extremely interested. The final result is a technical and blistering death metal offering that should put Diabolic on the death metal map.

The main reason that Infinity Through Purification rises above the rest is the simple fact that it is not a death metal album with songs that just seem to blend together and sound the same. There is enough creativity and dynamics throughout that manages to make every song have its own voice. Sure, they all have a wide array of blast beats, guitar leads and harmonies and low and guttural vocals but all the songs have enough differences in each one to make them differ from each other. They are all fast, brutal and unyielding but that is where the creativity of the songwriting and the playing ability of the band take over.

The album is filled with songs with tempo changes that keep you guessing on what is coming next. “Exsanguinated Life” may sound like a typical in your face death metal song in the beginning but then it slows down enough to a very cool instrumental part with amazing drum work. “Internal Mental Cannibalism” starts off slow with the distorted guitars but then the drumming comes in and all hell breaks loose and before you know it the band is moving in another direction. “Descending through Portals of Misery” is a strong highlight because of the constant tempo changes from slow to fast and everything in between. “From the Astral Plane…Entwined with Infity” starts off with a killer riff played by both guitars but it is never heard again as Diabolic just takes the song to another direction without missing a beat. Finally “Spiritual Transition” is my favorite because of the great solos found all over the song and the rhythmic riffing and drumming that is heard above these solos, it is almost mesmerizing hearing this section.

Infinity Through Purification is definitely an album that deserves your immediate attention. The creativity, aggression and technicality that Diabolic have crafted with this album are just too good to ignore and pass up.

Century Media Website
Olympic Recordings Website
Diabolic Official Website