Diamonds above ground (music- related thread)

E V I L

Sangfroid Affectations
Sep 2, 2001
Imminence
Visit site
There's that underground vs mainstream distinction.

Opeth and the countless other bands we listen to are "underground."

And if you're like other extreme metallers you have some degree of disdain for "mainstream music".

That's established. But some songs that are "mainstream" I actually thoroughly enjoy.

Here are a few I can think of and have been listening to lately:

Queen's Bohemian Rhapody.

Guns N Roses' November Rain.

Smashing Pumpkins' Mayonaise.

These are "gems" of music found on the rotton over crowded soils of the herd, so to speak.

Any other songs worth mentioning?

Later (this forum rules!! :headbang: )

I enjoy a lot of "mainstream" music, and for many reasons. Some songs pump me up, others just have a good beat, etc etc.

Here are just a few that I can listen to over and over:

Disturbed - Stupify
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir (though some may say they were never mainstream, since none of their music ever charted too high)
Bad Company - Feel Like Making Love

I could go on forever. I have no hate for any kind of music. I just magnate towards the "underground", because I consider it better.

For instance, I just drove home blaring Dimmu Borgir - Blessing Upon the Thrones of Tyranny: just an incredible song to me.

There's lots of stuff from the 60's and 70's that was mainstream that I utterly love (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.). Since then, they've been pretty few and far between. I like System of a Down (well, their first record, anyways), and Fear Factory (the first 3 records) for more sorta "pseudo-mainstream" metal, and some more pop/rock oriented bands like Fastball and The Matthew Good Band.

Then there's Frank Zappa - who's strange in that he is famous yet not exactly well known. Hmmm...

Gems :devil: :

All of the Led Zeppelin albums.
7 or 8 Pink Floyd albums.
Metallica 1984 - 1991
Pantera 1991 - 1994
The Doors, i havent heard all of their albums, but i love the 1st 2
Rob Zombie, his only album
Nine Inch Nails, all of them are 'gems'
Slayer 1983 - 1990 (yes they are mainstream obviously)

Yesterday, out of nowhere I started singing: "One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small." Huh. I just realized something. I can't think of the name of that song.

:confused:

I really really really really REALLY love Days of the New. Did I mention I love them? :D The older CD is just driving acoustic rock (which is great in its own right), but the newer CD (after Travis Meeks parted with the band) is musical and innovative and epic in a way that reminds me of some metal bands. Of course this is when they stopped playing them on the radio. And I would bet that everyone here likes the sound of acoustic guitar along with electric. And they have a female backup vocalist. Oh, sooo good.

Let's face it guys, if it were not for classic rockers such as Zepp, Floyd, Sabbath, and The Doors among others, the flood gate for metal as we know it would not have been created, and not just metal many other genres of music.