Dianno Last Night

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
Well, as so many of you know, we played with The Beast himself, Paul Dianno (no idea how he got that name as he didn't play on Number of the Beast). As Princess 2112 previously said, he fucking rocks. Here's the lowdown of the show (pictures to come shortly):

We showed up at the venue around 4:00 pm, where we met a number of the bands, and even got to chat with Dianno a bit. I won't disclose the details of the conversation, but needless to say, he's a very interesting fellow.

We (Final Stage) hit the stage around 8:15 to a virtually dead hall. About 3 songs in, my half drunk bass player decided to take off his shirt. I guess the gimmick worked, because two dozen people flocked to the stage thereafter. By the end of the night we had about 30 people headbanging with us, and had them all singing to Seek and Destroy.

After our set we had a great time hanging out with the small, yet enthusiastic crowd. For the first time since our CD release, (this tells you how sad Windsor truly is) we finally sold CDs at a show. The people were all a lot of fun to talk to and I must have heard about 20 new cool rock stories.

The next band after us, Sudden Flames, were incredibly tight and even played a cover of Hell Patrol by Priest, which was spot on. Great singer in that band.

After that was Dream Quest. I admit I didn't see a whole lot from them, but they were great as well. Awesome drummer.

Finally, a band I hope most of you are familiar with, Betrayer, was up. They performed the best I've seen them play yet, and these guys will be blowing Maiden off a stage near you soon. It's only a matter of time before their mega stars in metal. (Sixx, get started on an interview with them).

Now we get to Le Creme De Glas: DIANNO. This guy hasn't lost a step since the early 80s and can sing better than ever. Hell, I don't think Bruce sounds this good any more. His band consisted of a former Maiden tribute band and were incredibly tight. The guitarist absolutely blew our minds - these guys can play!

Song wise, he performed a ton of early maiden classics including Killers, Phantom of the Opera, and my personal favorite: Sanctuary. All this mixed in with a few solo songs and some hilarious stage raps. This guy should be a comedian, as after the show, all we could talk about was how hard we laughed. :worship:

During the show he asked where the crowd was from. I'm amazed at how far a number of the audience travelled to see this legend. Some came in from Ohio, Northern Michigan, and 1 person drove in from Phili!

All in all, a great night. Too bad more of you fellow UMOS'ers couldn't have been there. (I'm looking in your direction Narco :lol:). If you get the chance to see this guy, do so, you won't regret it.

That sounds absolutely AWESOME Poundingmetal. I'm ultra excited now at the thought of seeing him on the 1st of June - as long as he plays Phantom, Running Free, Wrathchild and Sanctuary I WILL BE ECSTATIC!!!!! In fact, its well worth the price of the ticket just to hear him singing ONE OF THOSE CLASSICS:headbang:

After our set we had a great time hanging out with the small, yet enthusiastic crowd. For the first time since our CD release, (this tells you how sad Windsor truly is) we finally sold CDs at a show.

Sounds like here, but I bet Windsor is much more interesting :kickass:

Glad you can play a good gig and met a legend. Hope the next ones you will lead instead of open ;)

P.S. Get a female bass player. If she keeps getting half-drunk and taking off the shirt I bet the audience will increase (at least males :lol: )

NP: Leatherwolf - 'Bad Moon Rising'

Good for you, since DiAnno was embarrassing to say the least last time I saw him (2001 or so) : nu-metal attitude, watered down (and sometimes rap) vocals, weak musicians, and a complete butchering of classic songs.
I hope he and his band(s) have improved nowadays...

Good for you, since DiAnno was embarrassing to say the least last time I saw him (2001 or so) : nu-metal attitude, watered down (and sometimes rap) vocals, weak musicians, and a complete butchering of classic songs.
I hope he and his band(s) have improved nowadays...

Hey Flo!! Good to see you again. Are you going to be at KIT again?
Hope to see you there!! :)

Sounds like here, but I bet Windsor is much more interesting :kickass:

I haven't been to Windsor for forever. We used to hang there (@ Studio 4 - That place still around? It was near a McDonalds IIRC)
when we would go see Ted Nugent on NYE at Cobo or Joe Louis Arena. I've had a bit of fun in Winsor..... :heh:
Used to be a place that sold nothing but Cuban cigars on Ouilette street.....

J-Dubya

I haven't been to Windsor for forever. We used to hang there (@ Studio 4 - That place still around? It was near a McDonalds IIRC)
when we would go see Ted Nugent on NYE at Cobo or Joe Louis Arena. I've had a bit of fun in Winsor..... :heh:
Used to be a place that sold nothing but Cuban cigars on Ouilette street.....

Yeah, visiting Windsor occasionally is ok. It's living here that sucks. Studio 4 is still around, it's gradually gotten worse and worse as the years have gone by. (I hear it's become very grungy and dirty, nevermind the strippers!) We just drove by that Cigar place on Ouellette before our gig last weekend, but I can't recall the name either.

Yeah, visiting Windsor occasionally is ok. It's living here that sucks. Studio 4 is still around, it's gradually gotten worse and worse as the years have gone by. (I hear it's become very grungy and dirty, nevermind the strippers!) We just drove by that Cigar place on Ouellette before our gig last weekend, but I can't recall the name either.

Glad to know that some things haven't changed! lol!
Studio 4 was actually a pretty nice place during our 4 year stretch of being across the River for Uncle Ted. It was the late 90's the last time I was there....
I crossed the border back into MI with a bunch of cigars the last year we were there. Brings back a lot of good memories.
Cuban cigars are illegal here in the US, which is why I *HAD* to bring some home.....:saint:

I crossed the border back into MI with a bunch of cigars the last year we were there. Brings back a lot of good memories.
Cuban cigars are illegal here in the US, which is why I *HAD* to bring some home.....:saint:

We were on a cruise a few months ago and just before we landed all we kept hearing was "if you have cuban cigars you can't bring them back into the US with you." And then I remembered, "Oh yeah, you guys don't like each other too much" :lol:

Windsor's gotten exponentially worse since you've last visited, umemployment is bad, health care is awful, pollution is getting worse and boarder tie-ups don't help either. If you ever come back, pick me up a case of beer in WI will ya? I hear you guys pay the cheapest for beer in the US (Which would be about 1/2 the price of beer in Canada). :kickass:

We were on a cruise a few months ago and just before we landed all we kept hearing was "if you have cuban cigars you can't bring them back into the US with you." And then I remembered, "Oh yeah, you guys don't like each other too much" :lol:

Windsor's gotten exponentially worse since you've last visited, umemployment is bad, health care is awful, pollution is getting worse and boarder tie-ups don't help either. If you ever come back, pick me up a case of beer in WI will ya? I hear you guys pay the cheapest for beer in the US (Which would be about 1/2 the price of beer in Canada). :kickass:

Being accross the river from Detroit doesn't help with pollution. :heh:

If I return to Windsor, I'll be sure to let you know. I think the allotment is once carton of smokes, & a case of beer per person. If When the time comes, name your poison, I'll take care of it! PLENTY of breweries in Cheeseland. Perhaps I'll bring some air from summer in Milwaukee. When the wind blows right, it smells like a dead man's armpit...... :headbang:

Being accross the river from Detroit doesn't help with pollution. :heh:

Perhaps I'll bring some air from summer in Milwaukee. When the wind blows right, it smells like a dead man's armpit...... :headbang:

For Windsor, that would be an improvement!

I don't know what my poison would be, but it looks like you guys get cheap Heineken. :kickass:

I'll let ya know if we've got a good band coming to town. We just had Fozzy last week :headbang: