Did a guitar recording tutorial for Youtube.

what's the advantage to finding the right mic position with all the knobs at noon and then dialing in a tone instead of first dialing the perfect tone and then finding the right mic position ?

I'd say it's that you can still tweak the tone after you've found a nice position.
I think it's easier to tweak the knobs to the mic position then the other way round.
Mic position changes the character of the sound more then what you can tweak with the knobs.
So if you like the position with knobs at noon chances are high that you'll also like it with your favorite settings.
But of course its not wrong to do it the other way around, and sometimes maybe its the better way...depending on the project ect....

just my .02c tho

I like finding the mic placement first as a heavily eq'd amp can end up with you choosing a really odd mic placement. Like if your presence is really low and your bass high then you can end up with an excessively bright mic placement.
I've ended up using my Orange TH30 for getting my mic placement even when it's not the amp getting used on the record. It's only got a single shape knob for eq so if the placement sounds good for that amp it'll work for my other amps with 3 band eq and resonance/presence controls.

so you find the right mic position with your headphones on obviously.. but then afterwards you also tweak the sound to sound good on the headphones or in the room ?

Honestly, when you said about moving your ear around in front of the speaker i thought:
"Like I'll hear the fucking difference"
But, I tried it and I did!

I run between the live room and control room changing the mic position. Never really used headphones for mic placement but i know some guys on here use them.

so you find the right mic position with your headphones on obviously.. but then afterwards you also tweak the sound to sound good on the headphones or in the room ?

room, then doing test reamps and check with the backingtrack. adjusting to that if needed, or trying out different stuff to see how the settings are doing with the mic. but most of the time what sounds good in the room also sounds nice with the mic, if you like the placement you chose, at least for me.

I am quite the opposite. I like to get the amp sound in the room first and then setup the mic position. However I have a go to mic position that has never changed so I will set the mic, dial in the sound in the room and do fine adjustments to the amp settings and sometimes if I am feeling saucy I might adjust the mic a few millimeters but most of the time I just slap the mic up in the same position and never second guess it, then again I know my amp and cabinet and am that confident in getting tones right the first time.

Ola!

I hope you don't mind, I've passed your channel onto Andy James (guitar playing British dude) - I had a huge conversation with him a few weeks ago [when we were working on something over a week] and he was asking about amps and shit..

Awesome video!