Differences in bass guitars

Derykus

Mar 14, 2011
Not necessarily related to mixing, but just trying out basses and having an idea of which one will be better to record with. I tried out a bunch of basses at GC and all the new models I tried - Squire Vintage Modified, Fender American and MIM Jazz, Musicman Stingray - all seemed to have great tone. But I tried out a used MIM Jazz bass from 2006, and it sounded quite different. The tone was more scooped and did not have a super aggressive low-midrange when compared to the others. I would say that it was less honky, and just sounded good to me. The others were more pronounced in the 300-500hz range, very "round" sounding.

I liked what I heard in the store, so I bought it. But now I'm wondering if something with a more honky midrange would be better for recording purposes. Or maybe differences in wood and age have made this bass more desirable.

What is a good bass supposed to sound like? Did I score a diamond in the rough or a piece of crap?

You'll find for metal most guys end up sucking out some of the 500hz kinda range in the mix anyway. So if you've found a bass that's got less of that going on then I'd say you're on to a winner!

You have to be really careful judging tone in the store b/c the strings could vary in age by months or years. That said, if you like the tone there is no need to second guess yourself.