Jazz Bass Pickups

Derykus

Mar 14, 2011
I recently swapped out the stock MIM Jazz bass pickups for the Dimarzio DP123 Model J set. Put in new push/pull 500k pots as well. I am pretty underwhelmed, and I actually think I prefer the MIM pickups. There is more sub bass and more grind in the MIM p'ups, whilst the DP123's sound dull but more powerful in the 100hz region. I don't think I want to keep them...

What pickups would you guys recommend for accentuating the qualities of a stock MIM jazz bass? Should I bother swapping pickups with Dimarzio or take the loss and get something else? I really just wanted my bass to sound like it was on steroids, not get fat and lazy.

A good tip - if your instrument sucks, just buy a new instrument. I also put a BABICZ bridge on the Jazz bass after comparing pickups, and I actually prefer the stock flimsy bridge. Absolutely a waste of time and money upgrading this bass.

I bought a Squier Jazz and the stock pickups were so gutless and didn't even really sound like a J so I've been looking about for some new pups too.
Did a fair bit of reading and stumbled across a UK pickup company called Wizard. The guy used to work for Kent Armstrong I think I read somewhere. Anyhow for 70quid a set I took the gamble on the Eighty-Four Set (3 types from vintage to hot, and these were in the middle) and after some comedy soldering I'm converted. Gonna pick up some new strings and if I get time next week I'll put up a clip.