Recommend some kick-ass Fender Jazz pickups!

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I picked up a new MIM Fender Jazz bass finally. I wasn't looking for a spectacular bass, just something solid. I think it will work well.

I'm most likely going to replace the pickups when I get the bass. I will be using it with either Ampeg SVX or a Sansamp bass driver.

I've looked into Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups.

Any recommendations? Preferably something passive.

thanks

-Joe

Well done on the new purchase, I love Jazz basses, very articulate and they're built solid as fuck. My squier jazz feels like i could knock a house down with it.

Seymour Duncan quarter pounders or hot stacks for bass are meant to be pretty good.

That being said, I played a Ibanez bass with Bartolini pickups in it once (soapbars not jazz's) and it was honestly one of the best sounding basses I've ever heard, punchy, fat, but still really organic, you could really hear the wood. Whereas with some overpowered bass pickups I feel the tone of the wood can get a bit masked.

Either way, the bass will really benefit from having a pickup upgrade, easily the weakest point of the mexican basses.

Well done on the new purchase, I love Jazz basses, very articulate and they're built solid as fuck. My squier jazz feels like i could knock a house down with it.

Seymour Duncan quarter pounders or hot stacks for bass are meant to be pretty good.

That being said, I played a Ibanez bass with Bartolini pickups in it once (soapbars not jazz's) and it was honestly one of the best sounding basses I've ever heard, punchy, fat, but still really organic, you could really hear the wood. Whereas with some overpowered bass pickups I feel the tone of the wood can get a bit masked.

Either way, the bass will really benefit from having a pickup upgrade, easily the weakest point of the mexican basses.

Thanks for the reply man, much appreciated!

How would you rate the quality of the Mexican basses?

-Joe

Thanks man for the suggestion.

Any particular model to look into? I notice they have two categories of pickups: Modern or classic. Then there are specific models...

Hmm.

-Joe

Thanks for the reply man, much appreciated!

How would you rate the quality of the Mexican basses?

-Joe

To be honest the mexicans seem pretty solid. Theres always gonna be the odd one that comes out a bit dodgy but you get that from every company. The pickups are cheap but the rest of the electronics seem ok. Tuning stability is also pretty rock solid, even for a bass.

The best bass tone I've ever gotten was a fender jazz bass with fender custom shop 60s pickups

I like barts a lot and have them in both of my 'serious' basses. Duncans would be a little more aggressive sounding. I would consider dropping in an obp-1 for a little active flexibilty w/o compromising the tone.

Also I can't find the OBP-1 for some reason...hm

Edit: Found it actually...So it just gives the pups more oomph?? I know a lot about guitars but I'm pretty new to bass.

thanks

-Joe

Thanks man for the suggestion.

Any particular model to look into? I notice they have two categories of pickups: Modern or classic. Then there are specific models...

Hmm.

-Joe

I have the 9J#1 S/SB models which are specifically a replacement set for MIM J basses. Growl and warmth....

I had Barts in my old MIM Jazz V. Great sounding pickups. Though, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned DiMarzio's. Their hum-canceling Ultra Jazz pups are fantastic (and cheap!). I would recommend them over Barts only because I like their more aggressive tone.

Also, I would recommend you look at the Audere JZ3 preamp. I had one in my MIM Jazz V and it was awesome, simply awesome.

Make sure you check out http://www.bestbassgear.com before you buy anywhere else.