FUCK YEAH, now I REALLY got me a bass!

Yeah, they make these too:

Surveyor-5_NAT.jpg

EMG makes the J pickup in that same housing that the neck pickup has, so you could just stick one in there.

*edit* or is this more Precision-ish than Jazz-ish?

Congrats!

I recently scored an early 90s Fernandes lawsuit Jazz Bass (it's from around the same period as the Burny.) It's essentially a Japanese Fender, and I put a Badass II bridge on it and it sounds amazing!!

What about that one: http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/calj-series/calmm
The pickups seem to be split-able so you should be able to get what you want. :)

Ah man, forgot that it should be a 35" scale too. I find it sounds far better in B and lower. Though if I ever spend more than a few hundred in a bass, it'll surely be a fanned fret with the lower side scale at about 37", like in Dingwall basses. I'd be able to tune it to low F# too to play some stuff an octave lower than my 8-string.

Thanks dudes! Yeah, maybe I'll end up swapping the pickups (though of course I'm gonna wait until I actually play these for awhile :D), maybe for some Duncans...we shall see! (but I definitely wanna stay passive for simplicity's sake)

Haha, mainly cramming it all under the pickguard I'd say! :D And actually, I more meant simplicity in terms of less tonal options; active means more tone shaping potential, which means more indecision and potential for me to fuck it up! (not too confident in my gauging of raw bass tones as you might have gathered :loco: Passives are nice and simple, and I can process after the signal is recorded, which is where I feel a LOT more comfortable!)

Ok, wow - just got this baby set up in C-standard with D'addario ProSteels, 55-110, and...let's just say I'm very happy with my purchase :D

Jazz Bass Test.mp3

This is one track, and the only processing on it is one instance of ReaComp taking off around 10 dB on the biggest peaks. All that clacking (which I fucking LOVE) is straight from the DI, with all 3 knobs maxed (passive eq for the win! :headbang: )

Thanks dude! :) It's a decently resonant bass, so I really couldn't hear any of that clackiness when recording cuz it was being drowned out by the acoustic sound of the instrument, but when I listened back, damn what a pleasant surprise!

Sounds excellent dude, how's the tension on the C? My knockoff SX fretless Jazz can't handle anything lower than C# well with a 105, and when I put a .130 it couldn't handle the B at all - the notes just farted out.

53Crëw;8482607 said:
Good choice, Marcus. I like the pickguard, too.
-Steve

Thanks Steve! (so that's your name :D) The pickguard was the previous owner's choice, but honestly, I can't think of any other color/texture I'd rather have for it!

And Nick, thanks dude, and the .110 for the C seems to be working out pretty well; I have to tune it a bit flat, but I think that's just kinda par for the course with downtuning regardless of gauge, and more importantly that's tuning it flat when striking it with a moderate attack; when I'm sawing away at it (either open or fretted) it's pretty much spot on in tune!