What Bass Should I Buy?

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Currently, I'm using an Ibanez SR500 and all I get out of it is smooth, smooth, smooth. I've heard some really cool and aggressive tones out of the SR series, but I can't for the life of me get anything other than a smooth, boomy tone out of it. New strings, super heavy picking, etc. - Nothing. Obviously, I can process it to get close, but I still feel like my bass is the most lacking part of my recordings, because there's just nothing exciting about it. I'm running through a SansAmp RBI with a split DI, or just complete DI through my Focusrite ISA 428 and processing ITB.

My original idea was to get a Squier Vintage Modified J-Bass, just because I tried one at GC the other day and was blown away by how well it stacked up against basses 5 times is price... but I actually didn't even think about trying the real Fenders, because I was on a tight budget then, and I just wanted to see how it stacked up to the most expensive basses they had (all they had Fender Jazz wise were the MIMs). My budget then was around $250 ish, but now I'm willing to go up to double that... maybe even more, if it's really worth it. Will getting a MIM Fender be a step up, or would I just be paying twice as much for "Fender" on the headstock? Spectors have really piqued my interest as well, but no one around here seems to carry them, so trying first might be a problem. All the Music Mans I've tried were kinda boring and I wasn't too into them.

I really dig the Jazz Bass tone, it's aggressive, with just the right amount of lowend, but I haven't really tried enough basses (through amps) to know what else sounds similar. I really like the feel of the Ibanez BTB 5 strings, but I've only ever played them acoustically and don't want to drop the cash if it's not going to work for what I want (I also don't really need a 5 string). Tone-wise, I usually go for a slightly distorted tone, but nothing over the top (I'm honestly not sure how you guys make bass work with them having as much gain as the guitar, never seem to work well for me :loco: ). I'm actually really digging this bass tone I heard on Seven String a few days ago:

http://soundcloud.com/clems6belio/ibanez-sr605-5-string-bass-axe

It's a little heavier on the distortion than I'd usually go, but I think if I could get anywhere close to that with my SR500 now, I'd be SUPER happy with the lowend in my mixes (oddly enough, he's using an SR605...). I was getting a REALLY similar tone to this one out of the Squier when I was playing it through the Mesa M6 Carbine at Guitar Center, but I don't want to regret buying it, if I could've bought something significantly better with the budget I have now.

tldr;

• Need new bass - Currently have SR500, too smooth, not aggressive enough
  • Dig Jazz Bass sound, not sure what else I should be looking at
  • Needs lots of growl
  • Budget - I'd like to keep it around $500, but can go higher, if it's worth it (buying used)
  • 4 string, MAYBE 5 string

P.S. The SR500 belongs to a friend (he left it here like 2 years ago and hasn't come back to get it yet :loco: ), so no - I can't sell it to add to my budget.

Lakland Skyline 55-01 IMO - Egan recommended it, everything I've read on other forums has been extremely praiseworthy, and spec-wise it's the best bet for under $1k IMO (because of the ash body, choice of maple or rosewood fretboards, apparently awesome pickups/onboard active eq, and mainly the 35" scale, which thins out the selection significantly, though for a 5-string I feel is mandatory) - I lust!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and this, which is fucking badass

Lakland luthiers now do their fret work using Plek technology to assure optimum playability. Plek is a CAD/CAM machine with scanning capability. It was developed to perform high-speed, highly accurate fret dressing, nut and bridge slotting and shaping, and engraving work. When used by an experienced luthier, the Plek machine produces necks with fretwork and action that equal the very best handwork and does it consistently.

Lakland Skyline 55-01 IMO - Egan recommended it, everything I've read on other forums has been extremely praiseworthy, and spec-wise it's the best bet for under $1k IMO (because of the ash body, choice of maple or rosewood fretboards, apparently awesome pickups/onboard active eq, and mainly the 35" scale, which thins out the selection significantly, though for a 5-string I feel is mandatory) - I lust!

Interesting. Lakland isn't a brand I've seen much of, but I've heard good things. I'll definitely check it out. 5 string would be cool to have just in case (though, I have no 7 string guitars). Looks like they're selling right around my budget on the used market, so it's definitely doable. People rave about Bartolini pickups though, and that's what's in my Ibanez, and obviously I haven't been impressed with that one :p If I was playing finger style on lighter music, it'd be a killer bass, but I can't seem to get any aggressiveness out of it to save my life! :mad:

I think that's more the wood/construction of the Ibanez honestly - also, see above about PLEK machine :D

EDIT: Shit, guess they do have the same pickups and eq - bummer, but still, the Ibanez being mahogany definitely isn't helping matters

Really my only gripe with going with a 5 string is that it might put off bassists I have coming in that play 4 strings, because of the bigger neck, and just an extra string in general? I think it'd be really cool to have a 5, just for the added versatility that if a band that's playing 7s comes in and their bass sucks, they can use mine, without the strings flopping around from being downtuned so far. I'm just not sure if it'd be a good idea to have only a 5?

I dunno, maybe I'm over-thinking it :lol:

before you conclude that your bass is the problem you should get someone else to process your bass dis. i honestly havnt really liked much besides fender basses in that price range that have been through my place. the old discontinued ibanez's sound really good. i just bought the squire vintage modified jazz and i could post a clip of it if you would like. it can sound very good and holds up nicely to the higher up fender basses. i got it just so i dont have to deal with the bad basses some bands bring in tho :p

Nothing in your price range is going to sound better IMO. Spend the money trying strings and gain pedals, that will go farther in my experience. For bass strings are 75% of the sound and changing them and finding the right match for the bass is important.

I disagree. Wood and pickup choices make an enormous difference IME. IIRC the SR500 is mahogany which gets fat lows and low mids as well as some natural compression but it won't exhibit the same top end zing that an ash, maple, alder or even basswood bass will. Likewise the bart soapbars will never have the upper mid agression of single coils.
If the OP likes the JB sound I'd say get one (or a clone) and drop in an active pre for more flexibilty. Be patient and play a bunch as they are hit and miss but it's not hard to find a good one.

Squier Vintage Modified J-Bass V. It played great when I tried it at GC and I think it's capable of amazing tones for recording. I have an old Epi bass and I had a Music Man 5 string and if a bassist is totally put off by the extra string then that's ridiculous. The jump from 4->5 string is a lot easier than 6->7 string guitar in my opinion.

When I played bass in a couple of bands, I found strings made a massive difference. I'm actually going to pick up one of those Vintage Modified Squier basses for xmas this year too.

The DI plays a HUGE role in the sound of the bass. The difference between my UA 610, GAP Pre-73, and stock RME instrument input is quite unbelievable to be honest. The UA is smooth, tubby, and almost synth-like, whereas the pre-73 is incredibly honky and agressive, while the RME ins. in is pretty lifeless and lame... but not as crappy as the Sansamp.

The Sansamp really just ruins the DI even when using the DI Thru on it. Actually, it completely destroys the DI in all aspects. I hated it so much, I sent it back and haven't missed it. If you want the sansamp sound, you should reamp later with it - don't track through it.

Go to a guitar shop and try a few through a big rig... For a more aggressive tone, try the Ibanez SRX series with the alcino pickups... or if you can find one to try, a fender P/J bass (listen to gojira for example...)

Straight up Jazz are ok, but I find also very smooth... From the sounds of it... you want CHUNK!!

The DI plays a HUGE role in the sound of the bass. The difference between my UA 610, GAP Pre-73, and stock RME instrument input is quite unbelievable to be honest. The UA is smooth, tubby, and almost synth-like, whereas the pre-73 is incredibly honky and agressive, while the RME ins. in is pretty lifeless and lame... but not as crappy as the Sansamp.

The Sansamp really just ruins the DI even when using the DI Thru on it. Actually, it completely destroys the DI in all aspects. I hated it so much, I sent it back and haven't missed it. If you want the sansamp sound, you should reamp later with it - don't track through it.

I'm running my bass through a Countryman Type 85 DI, recording the clean DI through it, and the "thru" is going into the RBI. Either that, or I just DI through my Focusrite ISA 428 and reamp through the SansAmp later. The DI is not the problem. I have gotten great sounds with basses other bands have brought in here, and while the tones I get with the Ibanez are usable, it just sounds.... for lack of a better term.... dead :erk:

Also forgot to mention I currently have a 1978 Fender P-Bass that is in the shop getting some work done on it... (also the friend's) but I only ever use that for lighter stuff cause I just can't dig the P-Bass sound on heavier stuff for some reason :loco:

Think this might just be a case where I'll have to go try a bunch out again. Unfortunately though, the Guitar Centers around here are the only shops that really carry a variety of basses, and they don't usually carry much outside of the Fender, Ibanez, Music Man and Schecter lines. I KNOW I like the J-Bass sound, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something out there I should be looking at that might offer a better tone to price ratio than an MIM Fender.

Also forgot to mention I currently have a 1978 Fender P-Bass that is in the shop getting some work done on it... (also the friend's) but I only ever use that for lighter stuff cause I just can't dig the P-Bass sound on heavier stuff for some reason :loco:

Not disagreeing with you, but I love the P-Bass sound on heavy stuff. I also have the Type 85 and RBI and the RBI gets me nice grind with good new strings. Good rattle.

I think you're head is set on the Jazz bass. I would love a Jazz.. but with a Precision pickup in the neck and a Jazz in the bridge, then I could have the rattle when I wanted it.

Good luck on your quest!

In that case, what pickups and especially preamp would you recommend? (since the same Bart soap bars and preamp are in the Skyline ;))
I actually like barts they just don't sound like single coils. If you want the single sound in a soapbar case the nordstrand big singles are a no brainer. For preamp the bart is cool but I'm favoring the aguilar obp-3 these days.

I guess I was more talking about soapbars (humbuckers? Possibly Duncans or 40DCs?) that had emphasized upper mids - and the OBP-3 looks pretty sweet, I guess the 3TK would be the one that'd best match the Lakland's control configuration?

I guess I was more talking about soapbars (humbuckers? Possibly Duncans or 40DCs?) that had emphasized upper mids - and the OBP-3 looks pretty sweet, I guess the 3TK would be the one that'd best match the Lakland's control configuration?
The EMG's won't fit in p2 routes unfortunately (they should really make on that does). I'm using various bart sets in most of my basses these days. Most humbuckers are going to have more high/low end extension than single coils but less mid range character. I really want to try some lane poors and a set of nordstrand fat stacks but those are expensive experiments.
As far as the preamp, I recommend talking to bestbassgear.com as they're pretty knowledgable.