Great Sounding Bass For Recording for under $500??

Damn I've gotten some serious GAS for that VM Jazz bass. Found a pretty nice review:

And the reply to that video sounds really nice
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCEI7DxuY9A&feature=watch_response[/ame]

Anyone got more heavier clips?

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally sold on that natural finish VM .... damn Go Fender for making a kick ass cheap bass!

Thanks a ton everyone!

squier is technically a different company that's licensed by fender to make cheap import dupes of their guitars, but i reflect those sentiments none-the-less! haha. i'm gonna pick one of these up and have my dad dig up a different neck/headstock for it.

I just picked up the Squier Vin Mod Jazz Bass and I'm so glad that I did. I happened to be in the market for a new bass when I stumbled upon this thread. You guys were saying how great it is and I can't believe it sounds so good for the price. So thanks again. Does anyone have an opinion of the Squier Vin Mod P bass? How does it compare to the Jazz bass? For that price I might pick up another one just to have another bass in a different tuning.

I don't know if it is as good as the jazz bass, but I played it last year and compared it to 5 different precision basses and the only ones that sounded significantly better were the 2 top of the line made in america ones. The only problem was a somewhat overly present low E, but this might just be a bad pickup setup.

That maple VM is making me gassy. I'm kind of glad they don't make a 5-string version. I don't need another gear expenditure right now. :lol:

I've heard good things from my brother (who is majoring in music with bass guitar) about this bass although I have not personally tried it.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ATK305-5String-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=511835

Played this one at a GC, sounded very tight and punchy through a used Trace-Elliot head I used.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR405QM-Soundgear-5String-Electric-Bass-?sku=511826

Just for kicks, here a list of more bases in your price range. You could always try scoring a used Fender Geddy Lee. My bro uses that as his main axe and it's fantastic bass in every possible way.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/5-string-electric-bass-guitars?N=100001+306314+10

I have one of those Ibanez ATK 305's, great bass for the price. Quite different from those squiers though, sounds almost like a musicman. So if you're into that type of sound I can wholeheartily recommend them.

I'm really diggin the Squier VMs at the moment.
If you would be in Europe, I would say, check out Mensinger at
public-peace.de, they've got awesome basses and guitars with
very good hardware and they sell exhibiton items, like a Les
Paul style guitar, with Schaller Hardware, good wood and handwounded
Pickups from a German guy who's pretty famous for his pickups
and sells them for like 120€ per piece for 500-600€.

Gonna get me one of their guitars next year and an MARUSZCZYK
Elwood (Jazzbass style, but going for an active one with black hardware
and stuff).

The Ibanez ATKs are cool, too, more stingray style.
You could also check out used Music Man Subs, got mine for
380€ with a great bag and stuff (that costs around 120€ alone)
and it's an awesome bass, better than every OLP and
Sterling by Music Man I tried.
There are a few active and passive ones I think, 4 and 5 string.

Dammit! I was also in looking for a cheap (!) bass and close to ordering a Squier Affinity Jazz RW (not the VM).
But reading this made me nervous:

MAPLE MAPLE MAPLE MAPLE MAPLE!!!!!!!!!!

Agathis is a rancid wood imo. It's dark and muddy, kinda like a really really shit version of mahogany, except without the nice character that mahogany has.

I would really like to go with the Affinity Jazz RW because it's 80 euro less (which is nearly a third of its price) and also because I strongly prefer its looks to the Vintage Modified.

I guess they're not a valid point but judging from Thomann's sound samples of both I think the Affinity's also good to go!

What do you think?

@StefTD: please tell me if you've got any bass for sale, I'm living in Stuttgart!

I used to have a Squier Standard Jazz Bass that was made of Agathis, absolutely can't touch the Vintage Modified one for sound quality. I prefer the VM Jazz to the Fender Mexican Jazz that my bassist used to have.

I know the style of the bass maybe isn't for everyone, but seriously it sounds much much better.

Thank you guys!

BTW: I won't play metal exclusively, also jazz, funk,... so it shouldn't be a one-trick-pony.

@Trevoire520: were you talking about its metal sound or in general?

I recorded it with a metal band but I expect it would sound better for any style really. Much less muddy and much punchier than the Agathis bass I had. Pickups are surprisingly good in the VM model aswell.

I just got myself a new Vintage Modified from Thomann. I'm not good at judging basses since I've been a guitarist only until now, but I think it's a great instrument. It sounds exactly like I hoped it would. To be honest I was really impressed when I played it the first time!

Thanks for all the advice!