Shit Bass guitar & buy Emgs, or a new bass sub 500 with emgs?

Just make sure it's got humbucking pickups and not single coil. For all my bass needs I've never found a single coil that quite did the trick for me. The closest I got was an active single coil :p

I would LOVE to get a Peavey BXP bass. Versatile and easy to play. Custom string too man. A lot like the Grind bass pictured above.

I have a Peavey Grind bass and I absolutely love it. Even with it's stock pickups. All passive, but it still sounds great. I can't comment much on the playability as its my first bass, but It plays and sounds better than my friend's old Ibanez Ergodyne. (What!!?? An overpriced Ibanez!? No Way!) Plus neck through construction! And it can be had for $399 USD. Not bad at all!

269932.jpg

Musicians Friend

I'd advise AGAINST that one... our bassist got himself one of these as his first 5-string, the stock pickups are crap IMO, very weak and muddy.
He now got an Ibanez SRX595 that works much better.

I myself bought an Ibanez SR505 which I like alot better than both of the above. A little more expensive but well worth it IMO.

I used to have a spector q5pro with emg hz's and the active eq and it sounded fantastic! tried out higher end spectors with active emg's and wasnt keen, sounded very punchy and loud (probably great for finger players) but i prefered the smoothness and rumble of the hz's (sounded better for pick playing which is what i did/do as i am really a guitarist).
Just my 2 cents.

I used to have a spector q5pro with emg hz's and the active eq and it sounded fantastic! tried out higher end spectors with active emg's and wasnt keen, sounded very punchy and loud (probably great for finger players) but i prefered the smoothness and rumble of the hz's (sounded better for pick playing which is what i did/do as i am really a guitarist).
Just my 2 cents.

So im guessing the quality of EMG HZ pickups in a bass is different then the EMG HZ pickups in a guitar?

Well not necessarily the quality, but rather the sound, I assume (I figure that's what you meant Bob, I just like being a dick about semantics :heh: )

Im eager for a bass guitar as well, how does that play? thin neck? i like thin necks on a bass.

I'm not an expert in basses, but from what I played it seemed to have the nicest action. Not high like many basses, so the neck feels comfortable.
It sounds really good for those smooth, modern tones, right through to the more thrashy, twangy tones.

The HZ's are NOT active. What's active in that bass is the multi-band EQ.

I really like EMG's for bass.

Takes a battery either way *shrug*