Need help with buying a new bass(and bass rig)! Looking at Fender J or P

Ionei

Oct 13, 2009
Latrobe Valley, Australia.
Hey,

So my bass player is looking to get a nice new bass.
He is set on getting a Fender Jazz or Precision bass, maybe a MM stingray if we can find one for the right price.

We play in Drop B and he uses 130 gauge strings.

I have NO idea what is good in a bass guitar for low tunings and metalcore type music.
I found a nice 70's RI fender P bass that he would dig and the price is decent.
I just have no idea if Ash is a good bass wood haha.

Also,
he is looking at getting a decent bass amp.
Was thinking of a Warwick 5.2 or 3.2 and matching cab.
But again, my bass amp knowledge is limited, and so are his funds.

So if any could point me in the right direction and help me become more educated in this area it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers,
Ionei.

I just tracked a record using a P Bass dropped to B with a 130 on the low string and it sounded insane.

I also own my own American Jazz and American Precision basses. I would probably choose the P Bass for heavy music. It's very beefy and aggressive with healthy midrange, versus the J Bass, which is cleaner, more versatile, and more "scooped" sounding.

Ash can be a great bass wood; it has a brighter tonality than alder but I think that's probably a good thing for low tuning bassists who are trying to cut through a wall of guitar.

If he's playing B and wants Fender he really should look at getting a 5-string so he gets the 35" scale neck. I think you can get pretty similar sounds with both Ps and Js, but it'll come down to the little things. I personally dig the jazz, both for the neck and body profile. He might even look at a one of the P/J hybrids (the Deluxe P Bass Special: P body, J neck and P&J pickups).

My advice on the basses though, swap out the bridge! Leo Quan BadAss II to be exact. Made a night and day difference on my Mexi Standard Jazz. I also swapped out the pups for Duncan Basslines Quarter Pounders which are really modern sounding.

Both basses are great. The P only does one sound but it's a awesome sound, chunky and clunky. Jazz more versatile but is thinner sounding. Personally I prefer the P bass sound, but I also love Jazz's!

I heard a good analogy about the difference between a P and a J soundwise. A J is like a karate chop to the throat, a P is like a slap in the face.

Keep in mind the necks are really different too, P is chunky and the Jazz is pretty slim.

Cheers for the advice guys!
Mucho appreciated!
Sadly he missed out on a sick deal on a Stingray.

BUT.

He just picked up a whole rig for $800 Aus.
So he got a good deal.

He is getting a Fender Mexi Jazz.
Hartke 2000 bass head
And a GK 4x10 cab.

He should be upgrading soonish to a better amp and cab, this is just to tide him over.
and the fact that he is getting it all for cheaper than what the Jazz would be alone is pretty awesome.

Cheers for the help blokes!

I agree, the J seems to have more of that growl over the J in my opinion as well. My vote is an American Fender Jazz 5 string cause it's the sex.

Ah never mind, just read that post. My buddy has a mexi and even though it's not quite as nice as the American (both in how it sounds and plays) it's still a really good bass.

Get the P/J, both pickups in one, most versatile. One thing I don't like on the J and P basses though is the frets. They are low and the dressing on the sides suck. Get it setup if you get one. 5-string is definitely for playing in B. I don't know how much you're looking to spend on a bass, but you should try a Carvin too. Can find them in the 600-800 range used and they play fantastic.

For the amp it depends whether he's wanting to play live or just record. I personally like the Sansamp RPM into a DCM1000 power amp into a Hartke 410. Also SWR, Gallien Kruger and Carvin rigs all sound great to me.

>>Buy used<<

I love fender p's!! Best bass tone I've been lucky to record! Just awesome solid tone. Easy to manage and easy on the ears. I love it on most things, but especially on pop rock stuff and punk etc/ fast thrash stuff too :)

Fender P is great as well as J. We have a 1971 P here at the studio and many bass players that have used it commented on how good it sounds.

For me, J for heavy and modern stuff, P for lighter stuff. IMHO, the P has the upper low end/lower mid range on a place that really fights with heavy guitars. In contrast, J's have this sub thing that is really awesome, BUT can turn to mud if not controlled well.