Strat Single Coil Sets - passive singles or EMG for recording

guitarfishbay

Sep 21, 2012
What strat sets have you found that work well for heavier pop rock music and cleans? I'm thinking of something that will work well for texture or as a second tone type to contrast the EMG equipped PRSs I have (JH and 57/66) and stock Les Paul. Tuned to drop B, recording with an Axe FX 2. Music is along the lines of first album Young Guns, earlier Paramore etc - not metal but the guitars are distorted.

I have a US Standard strat, Alder with rosewood board. Currently I only own a H/H pickguard for it but it is routed H/S/H. I would like to have an S/S/S pickguard I could switch in as and when necessary for a totally different vibe. I do not want to buy another guitar, just another pick guard.

I would prefer to avoid passive noiseless pickups as my experiences with them have not been positive, I've had Dimarzio Areas (tried 67 and 61 in all positions) and have tried the Fender sets that come standard in some guitars - and when A/B'd with real singles I'd take the noise for the better tone. The noiseless passives seem to have a brightness to them which sounds more like a thin humbucker than a real single coil brightness, they're fine for live usage but I wouldn't pick them to record with personally.

The only noiseless pickups I'd consider would be EMGs, as I tend to like the character of EMG pickups. The DG20 set looks decent and I've heard it sounding good in a live context a few times.

Cheers.

No I have not tried the Lace Singles, I've had a go on the N3s and didn't like those. What is different about the lace sensors? They came on a bunch of Fenders a while back IIRC? There are multiple output versions listed by colour, I think I remember people talking about gold and silver but it seems there are many more choices. http://www.lacemusic.com/sensors.php